Men’s soccer breakdown: Badgers fall apart against Phoenix

Wisconsin missed two penalty kicks in loss
Laena Carroll

After two goals gave Wisconsin the advantage 20 minutes into the game, it looked like the Badgers might finally win their first home game of the season. That wouldn’t be the case as UW-Green Bay roared back to score three unanswered goals to win the game 3-2.

The Phoenix (2-5-2 overall, 0-1-1 Horizon League) picked up their first road win of the 2015 season while the Badgers (2-7-0, 1-1-0 Big Ten) lost their fifth consecutive home game.

Wisconsin now turns their sights to Michigan as they travel to Ann Arbor for a game Saturday at 1 p.m. The Badgers will return home next week Wednesday to take on another in-state rival, Marquette.

Penalty Problems

Coming into the game against UW-Green Bay, the Badgers were yet to earn a free kick. Wednesday night they were able to draw two. The first one came courtesy of a Phoenix handball in the box, but Drew Conner’s resulting penalty kick was saved by the goalkeeper. That would’ve put the Badgers up 3-1 right before halftime.

The second penalty kick awarded to the Badgers came in the second half when Nick Jones was taken out by a Green Bay defender. This time, Christopher Mueller stepped up to take the kick, only to send his shot wide of the left post. Mueller’s miss proved to be costly as that penalty would’ve tied the game up 3-3.

Captain Conner

Despite the senior midfielder’s penalty spot miss, Conner scored the opening goal of the game for the Badgers. This was the captain’s first goal and point of the season, as well as his first goal from open play since the 2013 season. If there’s any positive takeaway from this match it’s the fact that Conner finally got himself in the box score.

A Phoenix Rises

UW-Green Bay’s junior midfielder Audi Jepson was a menace all evening for the Phoenix. Coming into the match versus the Badgers, Jepson had netted the only two goals of the season for Green Bay. Jepson added to that number as he tallied his third goal of the season on a shot from 20 yards that UW goalkeeper Adrian Remeniuk was unable to keep out of the back of the net. Jepson then turned provider in the second half as he assisted William Nordenstrom on the goal that tied things up for the Phoenix.

Cool Hand Luc

Luc Kazmierczak made his first start of the season for the Badgers, and he did so in impressive fashion. Playing as a right midfielder, Kazmierczak supplied the assist to Conner’s opening goal. That was his first assist and point of the season, as well as his second career assist as a Badger.

Quotable

UW head coach John Trask on the team’s performance:

“We’ve gotta be better defensively. You gotta put away your chances, especially penalty kicks.”

Trask on changing up the starting lineup:

“I thought Isaac Schlenker came in and did a very nice job. I thought Luc [Kazmierczak] played a good game as well. I thought Nick Jones was dangerous tonight — created a penalty kick. So there were some bright spots out there.”

Trask on how the team can put together a full game:

“We don’t seem to be resolute for 90 minutes. We’ve talked about it many times with these guys. We seem to carry poor performances every game. I think some guys showed up tonight, like Isaac. We need some guys to step up. It’s a disappointing result. You get two penalty kicks — we had plenty of chances to make it three to one. And that’s a soccer game if you finish those chances. We didn’t do it and they hung around and just did enough to get back in the game and win the game.”