Football: Get to know Wisconsin’s next opponent, Troy

Trojans invade Camp Randall Saturday
Joey Reuteman

Troy University (1-1)

Mascot: T-Roy

Nickname: Trojans

Location: Troy, Alabama

Conference: Sun Belt

Saturday will mark the first time Troy and Wisconsin have ever met on the football field.

The Trojans have a first-year head coach in Neal Brown, who replaced longtime coach Larry Blakeney. Blakeney coached the Trojans for 24 years and led them to five straight conference titles from 2006 to 2010.

Since then, Troy has seen little success on the field, compiling a 17-31 overall record in that timespan.

The Trojans defeated Charleston Southern 44-16 last Saturday behind a two touchdown performance from senior running back Brandon Burks.

Troy’s passing attack and the way it spreads the ball out poses a threat, Dave Aranda, Wisconsin defensive coordinator, said.

“They make you nervous playing them, for sure,” Aranda said. “Those schemes, they make you work.”

Tackling in open spaces will be key, Aranda said.

The offensive look Troy presents will make it difficult for outside linebacker Joe Schobert to keep making plays behind the line of scrimmage. Schobert ranks seventh in the country in tackles for losses this season (five) and has recorded nine tackles, resulting in negative yards nine times in his last four games.

Troy’s quarterback, Brandon Silvers, has thrown only three interceptions in 315 attempts in his career. The sophomore broke Sam Bradford’s record for completion percentage by a freshman last season at 70.5 percent.

Wisconsin’s secondary depth will be challenged in Troy’s numerous four and five wide receiver sets. UW head coach Paul Chryst said the different style provides a unique style for the defense.

“They will present some different challenges in the way they are running it, or we think that they are going to run it,” Chryst said. “That will be good for our defense. It will be a different challenge and a good challenge for us.”

Saturday’s game information

When: 2:30 p.m. (CT)

Where: Camp Randall Stadium. Madison, Wisconsin (80,321)

TV: Big Ten Network (Scott Graham, J Leman, Jay Wilson)

Radio: Badger Sports Network (Matt Lepay, Mike Lucas, Mark Tauscher)