Breakdown: Wisconsin vs. Miami (Ohio)

Badgers roll over Redhawks for 21st consecutive home-opener win
Joey Reuteman

As soon as the Wisconsin football team’s offense found its groove, there was no slowing it down, and despite a slow start to Saturday’s home-opener against Miami (Ohio), UW pulled out a dominating shutout victory in a 58-0 route of the Redhawks.

The Badgers (1-1) came out firing, with fifth-year senior quarterback Joel Stave completing 4-of-5 passes – three of which were to senior receiver Alex Erickson – on the team’s opening drive as they marched down the field and into the red zone with ease.

However, the UW offense was completely stalled in the red zone and forced to settle for field goals on their next two trips inside the 20-yard line.

The offense continued to struggle for a grand majority of the first quarter until a poor Miami punt and a big, 35-yard return from Erickson gave the team a jolt of energy and put the Badgers on the opposing 16-yard line.

This time, they took care of business. 

Turning Point

Stave threw an exceptional pass to the front corner of the end zone to a spot where only his target, junior receiver Robert Wheelwright, could catch it.

The score was the second touchdown of the season for Wheelwright and put the team up 13-0 just before the end of the first quarter. Now, with the team finally finding success in the red zone, the offense continued to roll and never looked back.

When you knew it was over

This game could have been called at multiple points in the first half, with the Badgers consistently finding the end zone on offense and the UW defense remaining dominant.

But you really knew it was over was when Stave found Wheelwright for the second time, this time in the back corner of the end zone on a jump ball that only the junior receiver had enough athleticism and reach to get.

The score put the team up 34-0 with just under a minute left to play in the first half and any hope the Redhawks still had Saturday was shot.

Offensive Player of the Game

Rob Wheelwright – six catches, 79 yards, two touchdowns

Wheelwright finally had his breakout game after injuries have prevented him from getting consistent time on the field.

Coming into the season, it was obvious Wheelwright was going to primarily be a red zone target given his large frame and overwhelming athleticism, and while he did shine in the end zone Saturday, he proved that he can work the middle of the field as well.

Wheelwright’s performance not only boosts his own confidence, but the confidence of the entire receiving core, as the players and coaches no longer have to look at Erickson to carry the entire load in the passing game.

Defensive Player of the Game

Leo Musso – two interceptions, one broken up pass, one tackle

The redshirt junior safety didn’t have much of an impact in terms of the physical aspects Saturday, but he made his presence known in the secondary, recording two interceptions and almost snagging a third before it slipped right out of his hands.

Nevertheless, Musso is showing signs that he can be productive and serve as yet another tough defensive back for the Badgers, as they look to build a defense that rivals last season’s unit.

Home Cooking

The win was Wisconsin’s 21st consecutive victory in a home opener, as they have not lost an opener at Camp Randall since 1996.

It was also their 33rd straight at home over a non-conference opponent, which is the eighth-longest streak in NCAA history.

Stave Surpasses Tolzien

After his performance today, Stave moved into fourth all-time at Wisconsin for passing yards with 5,412, surpassing former UW quarterback Scott Tolzien.

Stave also passed up Tolzien in wins, as the victory was the quarterback’s 22nd of his career as a starter, which is also the fourth-most in the school’s history.

McEvoy Does It All

After a not-so-impressive performance against Alabama in his first game as a wide receiver, fifth-year senior Tanner McEvoy turned in an impressive performance on both sides of the ball Saturday. A nine-yard grab in the second quarter was his first catch of the year, but the fifth-year senior also recorded his second career interception.

This marked the first time a UW player recorded a reception and an interception in the same game since Brandon Williams accomplished the feat in 2003 vs. Michigan State.

McEvoy finished the game with three catches for 29 yards. 

What’s the Deal?

The Badgers looked to redshirt freshman running back Taiwan Deal to serve as their big back for goal line carries. He did not disappoint, as Deal ran for a career-high 45 yards on 14 carries and registered his first and second career touchdowns.

Quotable

Senior linebacker Joe Schobert on what it meant to have fifth-year senior Michael Caputo back this week:

“Mike is a great guy, tough player and just having him feeling good out there, being able to play football and stay healthy the whole game is big. His communication and leadership is something we need on defense.”

Head coach Paul Chryst on the play of Tanner McEvoy:

“Tanner is a guy that’s got great football intelligence and I think he’s a talented football player. I think he’s a guy make us different offensively and defensively. We were able to do some different things on the back end defensively.”

Erickson on the confidence of the passing game:

“Yeah we are confident and we try to be as confident as we can be every week. You can tell by the way the ball is being spread around that guys are feeling more comfortable in this offense and playing faster in this system. They’re honing their craft and finding their roles.”

Chryst on what the return to Camp Randall meant for him:

“This day, it’s not even about me. The window that these guys have to play is short and that’s what was fun for me to see.”