Softball: Wisconsin splits doubleheader with Green Bay

Jason Chan

The Wisconsin softball team’s doubleheader against Green Bay began positively for the Badgers, but unfortunately for Wisconsin, the difference between game one and two was night and day.

Wisconsin (18-23, 3-10 Big Ten) kicked off their doubleheader against Green Bay with an impressive 6-2 victory over the Phoenix (13-19), but the Badgers were unable to keep the momentum going in the second game, losing 15-9 to the Phoenix to snap their two-game win streak.

After freshman Mariah Watts picked up the win for the Badgers in game one, Wisconsin sent freshman Annie Davis out to the mound in game two to try to pick up the sweep. Davis ultimately struggled in her fifth start of the year, giving up 11 earned runs in four and two-thirds innings.

Wisconsin head coach Yvette Healy said after the game that the inexperienced Davis was put into a tough position because they would have liked to have started their top starter, Taylor-Paige Stewart, but ultimately elected not to to rest her after throwing a lot of pitches in their previous series against Iowa.

“We made a choice not to throw Taylor tonight, our number one,” Healy said. “She threw a lot against Iowa, more than 200 pitches, so I think their well-being is always going to be the main thing.”

Wisconsin had no issues hitting the ball in game two, but the Phoenix responded strongly each time Wisconsin put runs on the board.

The Badgers started out hot in game two when a Chloe Miller RBI single gave Wisconsin a 1-0 lead in the first inning. After the Phoenix tied it up in the top of the second, freshman Kelsey Jenkins hit a RBI double, clearing the bases, to give Wisconsin a 5-2 lead after two innings of play.

Both teams went back and forth putting runs up on the board until the fifth inning when Green Bay’s Abby Brinkmeier hit into a fielder’s choice that allowed Kelli Hutchinson to score and tie the game at seven.

After Green Bay continued to rally in the fifth to jump out to a 9-7 lead, Wisconsin continued to fight back when Nyah Rodman singled to bring them within one. But from that point on, it would be all Green Bay.

Green Bay broke the game open in the top of the sixth inning, erupting for six runs mainly due to a two-out grand slam by Miranda Spangberg that gave Green Bay a six run lead.

The Badgers got another run across in the bottom of the seventh inning, but it would not be enough to stop Green Bay to earn a split in the doubleheader with a 15-9 win.

Although Wisconsin could not stop Green Bay from scoring, Wisconsin’s nine runs were nonetheless a solid offensive performance. After the game, Healy offered praise for freshman Kelsey Jenkins, who went 3-5 with three RBI on the day.

“Kelsey Jenkins as a freshman had an awesome day,” Healy said. “It was really fun to watch her and a couple other lefties get things done.”

While Healy was disappointed not to get the win, she still saw positives her team could take from the game, especially in a down year.

“It was nice to see some positives,” Healy said. “You always want to come out and get the wins you can, but seasons like this, you’re working on just getting better.”

In game one of the doubleheader, Watts threw seven innings, giving up only two runs (one earned) on five hits while striking out four.

The Badgers started the scoring right away in the bottom of the first inning, scoring two runs on four hits, but the Phoenix responded with a run in its half of the second inning. Wisconsin added another run in the second inning to take a 3-1 lead after two innings of play.

With Watts dealing on the mound, the Badgers added three insurance runs over the fifth and sixth innings to pull ahead 6-2, where the score would stay for the rest of the game.

Seven Badgers recorded hits in game one with Miller and Jenkins leading the way at three hits apiece. Miller and Ashley Van Zeeland each had two RBIs for Wisconsin in the first game.

Wisconsin’s next chance to get back on track will come Friday when they travel to Illinois to take on the Fighting Illini in a three game series. Healy is optimistic considering they will have Stewart back on the hill.

“Taylor’s going to be back out there against Illinois,” Healy said. “She threw great against Iowa, so we’re looking forward to that.”