Men’s basketball: Traevon Jackson says he’ll play in Sweet 16 against North Carolina

Senior point guard tells reporters ‘I’m full go’
Joey Reuteman

University of Wisconsin men’s basketball senior guard Traevon Jackson told reporters Wednesday afternoon that he will play in the Badgers’ Sweet 16 matchup against North Carolina Thursday night.

Jackson, who hasn’t played in Wisconsin’s last 19 games since suffering a fractured foot Jan. 11 at Rutgers, also said, “I’m full go.”

The team’s Twitter account posted Wednesday afternoon that putting in Jackson would be a game time decision come Thursday evening, but that was before Jackson spoke with the press.

The account later posted this.

UW associate head coach Greg Gard said Jackson’s playing minutes will be limited.

“I think it will be very calculated on when we use him and how we use him,” Gard told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “No. 1, to make sure he is ready for it and No. 2, obviously we’ve got some pretty good synergy going right now.”

Jackson broke his right foot Jan. 11 at Rutgers in UW’s first Big Ten loss of the season. While the initial diagnosis called for six to eight weeks of rehabilitation, it has taken Jackson a little bit longer to get game ready.

Jackson’s initial target date was the March 1 game against Michigan State – the day the Badgers clinched a share of the Big Ten title.

Before his injury, Jackson averaged 9.4 points per game in 17 games played, with a 1.75 assist-to-turnover ratio.

Jackson and the first-seeded Badgers (33-3) will tip-off against the fourth-seeded Tar Heels (26-11) in the West Regional Semifinal at 6:47 p.m. CT on TBS from the Staples Center in Los Angeles.