From bad to worse: Wisconsin basketball team experiences travel problems after upset loss

If an upset loss to No. 14 Maryland in College Park wasn’t bad enough, the No. 5 Wisconsin men’s basketball team couldn’t even make it back to Madison without trouble Tuesday night.

The team’s charter flight that was en route back to Madison was forced to make an emergency landing in Pittsburgh due to engine malfunction around midnight last night.

Before the engine malfunction, the trip did not start off on the right foot either, as it took over an hour to simply close the cabin door on the charter plane, according Wisconsin radio color analyst Mike Lucas.

The team was unable to make it back to Madison last night and was “stranded” across three different Pittsburgh hotels. But most importantly, everybody appears to be safe.

The Badgers were expected to have an off day Wednesday, but this probably isn’t how they were hoping to spend it. It is unknown when the team is expected to arrive back in Madison.

Wisconsin (25-3, 13-2 Big Ten) fell to the Terrapins Tuesday night 59-53. The Badgers made only 29.6 percent of their shots in the first half and shot only 38.5 percent overall. Wisconsin was just 6 of 22 (27.3 percent) from three for the game.

After the loss to Maryland, Wisconsin will return to the court Sunday against Michigan State at the Kohl Center. With a win, UW will clinch at least a share of the Big Ten regular season title – something it could not accomplish against the Terrapins. Tip off on Sunday is scheduled for 3 p.m.

Update: Somehow things have gotten even worse for the team and its expedition back to Madison. The team apparently has gotten another charter plane, but of course, it’s delayed in South Carolina.

But the fun doesn’t stop there. The Badgers’ bus that was supposed to take them from the hotel back to the airport…wait for it…broke down.

A simple plane ride from Maryland to Madison is turning into a nightmare.