Badgers, School of Education team up to promote literacy in spring football game

Literacy programs will receive funds raised from the Badger football spring game set for April 12, Athletic Director Barry Alvarez said in a press conference Monday.

Keeping with tradition, the Athletic Department will donate the proceeds from the scrimmage to a campus initiative, this year it’s the UW School of Education’s turn. The union between the athletics department and the School of Education will mark the fourth consecutive year of an on-campus partnership.

Julie Underwood, the dean of the School of Education, also attended the press conference, thanking the Athletic Department for their partnership.

On the partnership with the School of Education, Alvarez said, “I feel it is a win-win situation and shows that [Badgers’ athletics] helps and is a part of the campus. It generates interest and attendance in the spring game, as well as financially supports initiatives within [the School of Education’s] program.”

“UW Athletics is an incredible partner with the academic side of our [university],” Underwood said, noting that through the partnership. “The School of Education will get a chance to showcase its interest in student literacy and work with athletics to showcase the game.”

The School of Education is currently focusing on an initiative to improve student literacy. Jessica Doyle, the former state First Lady, and Mark Tauscher, a former Badger football player, will also team up with the School of Education to promote this initiative.

Underwood said the initiative focuses on “how to teach reading to children better, improve teachers who teach reading and encourage early access to books.”

The annual game is set for April 12 and tickets for the game go on sale Wednesday for $5.