PCP: Which fall non-revenue sport is king?

volleyball_ZL
The volleyball team has started off the season with a 12-1 record behind a talented group of young players.[/media-credit]

With returning talent, solid start, UW volleyball team to watch

On my dad’s side of the family, a heated series of volleyball games takes place at the annual family reunion. While a majority of the Korgers are talented athletes – with myself being the exception (flat feet aren’t ideal for athletics) – I have no shame in admitting the Wisconsin volleyball team would destroy us. 

And why wouldn’t they – they’re clearly the best fall non-revenue team on campus.

Young and athletic but also experienced, the Badgers have breezed through their nonconference schedule, earning a 12-1 record entering Big Ten play. Seasoned head coach Pete Waite is quietly rebuilding the Badgers to past glory, as Waite earned his 300th win at Wisconsin this past weekend in the team’s win over South Alabama at the Georgia Southern Tournament.

With a talented lineup including the terrific duo in the blocks of seniors Alexis Mitchell and Mary Ording, the Badgers have displayed their defensive prowess all season as the combo has recorded 48 and 58 blocks, respectively. And with the Big Ten’s best libero in junior Annemarie Hickey – Hickey recently recorded her 1,000th career dig and averages an astounding 4.86 digs per set in 2012 – this Wisconsin team makes opposing offenses work for every point they get.

And how about balance on the attack? The Badgers rely on one of the most balanced offenses in recent memory, as four players average more than two kills per set. One of four sophomores to start this season, 6-foot-5 outside hitter Ellen Chapman leads the team with 2.88 kills per set, while Mitchell is close behind with 2.73 per set. And don’t forget about the atmosphere that surrounds the team. Regardless of how the team is performing, the UW Field House is always full of longtime fans that support the team.

So with the team competing for its first NCAA tournament berth since 2007, the atmosphere surrounding this squad could be something special this fall, making the Badgers the non-revenue team to watch.

Women’s soccer nationally ranked, has yet to lose at home

No disrespect to the spikers and setters who have lit up the Field House this fall, but with a Top 15 national ranking and just two losses on the season, the Wisconsin women’s soccer team is the best non-revenue sports show in town.

Despite falling to No. 11 Penn State Sunday in their conference-opener, the No. 13 Badgers have been a scoring machine this season, outscoring their opponents 20-9 this year. The ever-popular criticism that soccer’s slow pace makes it unwatchable is countered by the four-plus goals UW has scored three separate times this season.

In a relatively weak conference for women’s soccer, the team should be a favorite for the Big Ten crown before a potential NCAA tournament run.

If that doesn’t sound exciting enough to lure you to the McClimon Complex, then consider this team has won two of its last three games in overtime. While the volleyball squad has been dismantling opponents in dominating three-set sweeps, women’s soccer has looked to thrilling game-winners in extra time.

With an unblemished 4-0 record at home this season, if you do catch the pride of Wisconsin non-revenue sports in 2012 in Madison, you’re likely going to watch the Cardinal and White leave the field with a victory.

Additionally, Wisconsin’s two losses this season have come against top competition – UCLA, ranked No. 2 when UW faced off with them in Los Angeles, and the recent defeat in State College, Penn. The volleyball team boasts a 12-1 record, but it simply hasn’t come against the same quality of nonconference opponents.

But don’t expect this newfound success to end any time soon. All of the Badgers’ top four points leaders are juniors or younger, and freshman Kinley McNicoll – who has started all eight games of her college career – ranks third on the team with eight points.

If you’re looking to watch a UW team compete somewhere other than Camp Randall this weekend, stop by the McClimon Complex to cheer on the Badgers over the despised Michigan State Spartans. Kirk Cousins may not be sitting on the opponent’s sideline, but the best non-revenue on campus this fall deserves some support.