Mallards get close win

Thursday night, millions of Americans waited on pins and needles for LeBron James’ free agency decision. However, in Madison there was only one thing on the minds on local fans: Mallards baseball. 4,753 hardcore baseball fans were in attendance at Warner Park to watch the Madison Mallards beat the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters 4-3. The Mallards headed into the game as one of the hottest teams in the Northwoods League with a six-game winning streak.

Ex-Packer kicker/offensive lineman Jerry Kramer threw out the first pitch, bagpipers played the national anthem and the “Duck Pond” grew rowdy in anticipation as the announcer yelled, “Play ball!”

The game started off with a bang as Wisconsin Rapids first baseman Evan Laude hit a solo home run in the top of the first to put the Rafters up 1-0. The Mallards answered back with an RBI single from center fielder Lucas LeBlanc, who broke out of his first half slump going 3-for-3 with 2 RBI’s.

“I was trying to do too much at the beginning of the year,” LeBlanc said. “I felt a lot better tonight. I just relaxed and tried to have fun.”

The fun continued for LeBlanc, as he hit an RBI triple in the bottom of the fifth to tie the game at 2-2. LeBlanc scored off a wild pitch one batter later, giving the Mallards a 3-2 advantage heading into the sixth.

LeBlanc was selected in the 11th round by the Boston Red Sox in the 2010 MLB Draft. He plans on playing for LSU next year.

“LeBlanc had a couple of great games right away and started to struggle,” assistant coach Randy Molina said. “It’s nice to see him start to realize his potential.”

In the sixth inning, both teams went back and forth, scoring one run a piece. By the seventh inning stretch, the Mallards held a 4-3 lead and the fans showed their delight by singing in unison to “take me out to the ball game.” There were fruit races (a knockoff of Milwaukee Brewers’ sausage races), dizzy bat races and more mid-inning events to provide fans of all ages with a great experience.

The Mallards closed out the game, thanks in large part to the pitching of closer J.R. Graham, who clocked in at 95 miles per hour. He struck out the last two batters to pick up his second save of the season.

“Everything felt good tonight,” Graham said. “I was locating my fastball and throwing hard.”

Although, the Mallards fell short of winning the first-half of the season, they are hoping that their seven-game win streak can give them momentum heading into the second-half of the season. When you consider the recent play of the pitching staff along with the emergence of Lucas LeBlanc, winning the Northwood League in the second-half is not out of reach.

“This team is on a roll,” Graham said. “I hope we can go out and win the second-half now.”