Baumann leads team

Halfway through the spring season, the UW men’s tennis team was still hovering around mediocrity.Their record of 5-5 was average, and they were ranked just 65th in the country in the ITA rankings.However, thanks in large part to the leadership of Mortiz Baumann, the Badgers have come roaring back.

Baumann, a sophomore from Inzlingen, Germany, has been the anchor of the tennis team since his arrival in Madison.Despite not even competing on the team in the fall of 2006, Baumann burst onto the scene last spring with a 17-6 overall record, including an impressive 9-2 record in Big Ten play.He finished the season just as strongly as he started, winning his first four matches and winning eight out of his last nine en route to All-Big Ten Honors.

This year, Baumann has been just as valuable to the team.After a slow start, it was Baumann who helped the team turn the corner on the season.

“I was a little bit unlucky at the beginning of the season, losing a couple really close matches,” Baumann said.”But I worked hard and fought hard and just played loose.”

The change in attitude helped Baumann respond to the disappointing results with a vengeance.He has now won four of his last singles matches.His wins have also come at valuable times.His victories over Rudolf Siwy from Fresno State and Andy Juc of Furman led the Badgers to wins over both teams in the Blue/Grey Team Invitational.

In addition, Baumann has won three of his last four doubles matches.He and teammate Nolan Polley defeated the Michigan duo of Matko Maravic and George Navas, who were actually ranked in the top 20 nationally, by a score of 9-7.

“I think our doubles improved a lot over the last couple weeks,” Baumann said.”We had a good win against Michigan.We are fired up to play and to win.Nolan is playing really well at the moment.”

In fact, Nolan, a senior, has won his last nine singles matches.According to head coach Greg Van Emburgh, the two are a great fit.

“They’re gelling together as a team,” Van Emburgh said.”They know each other really well.”

The play of Baumann and Polley has helped the Badgers overcome the slow start.After going 5-2 in the recent weeks, the team now stands at 10-7.The win streak helped propel the Badgers back onto the national scene.In the latest national polls, the team has moved up 20 spots to a 45th ranking.

“We’re kind of on a roll right now, we’re getting good wins,” Van Emburgh said.

In fact, the difficult start to the season may have actually been a blessing in disguise.

“I think we played a tough schedule in the beginning,” Van Emburgh said.”I think it’s really helped us overall.It kind of set the tone that from here on out, we know what to expect, and we’re not taking anybody lightly.It’s made us tougher overall.”

If the team hopes to continue its recent success against teams like Purdue, Illinois and Indiana, Baumann and Polley will have to be on top of their game.The Illini and Hoosiers are both ranked ahead of Wisconsin in the national polls, and Purdue has a similar record to Wisconsin.

“We have to play our best tennis from here on out,” Van Emburgh said.

Due in large part to the recent success of Baumann, the team is confident heading into the tough stretch.

“I think everybody is playing really well right now,” Baumann said.”Everybody is fighting hard and is competing really hard.”

“I think he’s matured a lot,” Van Emburgh said. “Right now he’s playing his best tennis. …He can play with any of the top players in college tennis.”