Vintage finale to storied career

The end is finally here.

After 16 years as the standard for NFL quarterbacks, Brett Favre retired from the Green Bay Packers yesterday.

There are no words that can adequately describe what Favre has meant to the state of Wisconsin ? specifically Packer fans aged 22 and under who don?t remember the Packers without the quarterback.

But here goes nothing.

Coming off a 13-3 regular season in which he played at a level worthy of Most Valuable

Player recognition most years, the quarterback?s decision was somewhat unconventional. After all, over the last two seasons he built a great rapport with an incredibly deep, young receiving corps, and the Packers ended this past year one game short of the Super Bowl ? thanks to a renaissance season from the veteran quarterback.

The conventional thinking was Favre would return and, with the Green Bay offense a year older, make a run at one more championship.

Instead, Favre chose to retire.

It may have been an unconventional move, but it wasn?t all that surprising.

Favre was never one to abide by convention, whether it was the totally unfundamental throws he made ? falling away from his target as he made a pass across his body ? or showing up to Lambeau Field on a frigid game day dressed in shorts and flip flops.

Aside from his right arm, that unpredictability was Favre?s greatest asset on the field.

Between trying to thread passes into impossibly tight spaces or keeping plays alive when all seemed lost, Favre?s unpredictability and carefree approach to the game is what made him successful and unique.

But the great thing about Favre?s decision to retire now for Packer fans is this: Unlike the previous two years ? when the Packers struggled through the two worst records of the quarterback?s tenure, and Favre turned in two less-than-memorable seasons ? Favre left fans with a ?vintage Brett? season.

He gave fans one last glimpse of the kid who ripped his helmet off, running around the Superdome with a look of absolute pure excitement on his face after throwing a touchdown pass on the Packers? second offensive play of the Super Bowl.

He gave fans one last chance to remember ? if the previous two seasons had clouded their memories ? that he really was just having fun playing the game he loved.

He gave fans one last look at the quarterback who ruled the league in the second half of the ?90s, winning three consecutive MVP awards.

Instead of leaving us all grabbing at those distant memories of his heyday, he made fresh ones: an 82-yard overtime heave to favorite target Greg Jennings to beat the Broncos in Denver; an absolute classic play against Seattle in the divisional playoffs, avoiding pressure and shoveling a stumbling pass to Donald Lee to convert a key third down; and fireman carrying his wide receivers around the end zone after touchdowns.

Sure, as Favre himself acknowledged, he can still play the game. Everyone saw that this past season.

But there were no guarantees that Green Bay would have the same type of success next year it had this year. The 2007 Packers were the beneficiaries of an unbelievably healthy season at the offensive skill positions. There is no way of forecasting that same good fortune again. Jennings or Donald Driver could suffer a serious injury, or The Ironman himself could get hurt.

At this stage in his career, Favre just didn?t want to risk it.

Favre?s retirement is unquestionably a loss to the NFL community. In the era of Michael Vick and Pacman Jones, Favre was what was good about football and was a constant.

But while the league will be different next season ? announcers, tripping over themselves, will have to find someone new to compliment, and someone not wearing the No. 4 will line up under center in Green Bay ? there will still be the memories to look back on. Mourning fans should take the opportunity to celebrate Favre?s career, not bemoan the fact it is over.

That said, here are one writer?s three favorite Favre memories:

Oakland Monday Night Football game, Dec. 22, 2003

One day after his dad dies of a heart attack in Mississippi, Favre plays against the Raiders on Monday Night Football and turns in one of the most amazing performances in NFL history. Favre was flawless in the first half, throwing for 311 yards, four touchdowns and a perfect 158.3 passer rating as the Packers ran away with the game.

After the game, Favre was moved to tears when he talked about how much his father meant to him.

An incredibly touching moment for anyone who has ever shared a bond with a father.

Concussion touchdown, Oct. 3, 2004

The Giants knocked Favre out of the game with what turned out to be a concussion in this early-season game. That couldn?t stop Brett, however. In vintage Favre fashion, the quarterback checked himself into the game on fourth down ? without medical clearance ? and completed a touchdown pass to Javon Walker. He didn?t remember the play himself, but Packer fans would be hard-pressed to forget it.

Final game, Jan. 20, 2008

Sure, it was a loss, but it also proved to be Favre?s last game. In his true gunslinger style, Favre threw two touchdowns in the bitter cold ? including a 90-yard score to Driver ? but also tossed a pair of interceptions. It was the last time fans got a chance to see him play.

His last throw will go down as an interception, but it came as Favre was trying to make a play to win the game in overtime.

And, after all, that?s what Brett was all about.

Ben is a junior majoring in political science and journalism. He is just glad he was fortunate enough to witness and enjoy Favre?s career. Share your favorite Favre memories, thoughts and comments with him at [email protected].