Badgers host Mavericks

[media-credit name=’JAKE NAUGHTON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]MH_NO22_JN[/media-credit]

The trend of same scenario, different team continues.

For the third time in four weeks the University of Wisconsin men?s hockey team will be playing an opponent it?s tied with in the WCHA standings ? and they all happen to be from across the border. First it was Minnesota. Then it was Minnesota-Duluth. Now it?s Minnesota State.

?These are fun times of the year because there is so much on the line,? said UW head coach Mike Eaves, whose team has just two more series left before the WCHA Tournament. ?You don?t have to work on emotional energy. It?s going to be there because of what?s at stake.?

The Badgers had success the first two times around, taking three points from the Gophers and what would have been three more from the Bulldogs, had they not allowed an overtime goal. This time, however, points may not come as easy.

Unlike the first time these two teams met, when Wisconsin was far from consistent and Minnesota State was far from .500 (2-6-2 in conference), this weekend?s matchup at the Kohl Center will be between two of the nation?s hottest teams.

Wisconsin (13-11-6, 9-9-4 WCHA) has just that one loss to UMD over its past nine games, while Minnesota State (15-10-4, 9-9-4) is unbeaten in six.

?It will be a good measuring stick to see where we?re at,? said Wisconsin forward Ben Street, whose parents from British Columbia and sister from Ontario will be in attendance.

The Badgers know that with so little time left between now and the end of the season, this series could greatly impact the final standings.

?This is huge for us; it?s another one of those four point weekends where you can stretch yourself out or fall way behind,? Street said.

Since the Mavericks took three of four points from the Badgers in December in Mankato, Minn., Wisconsin is looking to return the favor on its home ice.

To do so, it will have to go through Mavericks goaltender Mike Zacharias, who was nearly a brick wall the last time the Badgers faced him, giving up just two goals.

?He stood on his head the last time we played him,? Connelly said. ?He?s a really good goaltender, so we just have to make sure to get a lot of shots on net and make it hard for him.?

From sophomore defenseman Jaime McBain?s standpoint, this weekend is about getting back at Zacharias for shutting the UW offense down.

?We have to throw pucks at him, get bodies at him and screen him because he usually is going to make the first save,? McBain said, who scored one of those two goals on Zacharias. ?Hopefully this time we capitalize on PP.?

From Connelly?s standpoint, this weekend is about matching Zacharias save for save in order to give Wisconsin a chance.

?It?s really going to be a good duel,? Connelly said, who allows 2.30 goals per game. ?I really have to step up. I have to match him.?

?We?re at a goaltender premium right now; every goal is a really big goal.?

As for the rest of the Mavericks, well, they?re some of the most physical, hard-nosed players in a conference that is laden with them.

?They have the formula for a winning team. They work their fannies off,? Eaves said. ?They?re a hard working, overachieving bunch that have accepted their roles and play well as a team.?

So even though the Mavericks got off to a rough start, the Badger players and coaches aren?t surprised by their turnaround.

?When you play everyone hard night in and night out, you?re going to generate wins,? Street said.

Still, the focus isn?t on what Minnesota State has accomplished to date. It?s on what Wisconsin has accomplished and recognizing those feats. Four Badgers ? Davis Drewiske, Kyle Klubertanz, Josh Engel and Matt Ford ? will be honored for their achievements over the past four years on Saturday.

?It?s always an emotional time; it?s a fun weekend because it?s parent?s weekend, and it kind of cranks up the atmosphere a little bit more,? Ben Street said.

Whatever happens, whether one team asserts itself, or they split, Connelly is excited to get on the ice and play.