Badgers go for season sweep of Hoosiers

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]M_BB_JS[/media-credit]

The last time Wisconsin went into Assembly Hall, the game ended with Indiana?s students storming the court after an upset win. With IU boasting the higher ranking this time around, regardless of the outcome, it?s a safe bet the Hoosier faithful will stay in their seats.

After a loss to Purdue last weekend, Wisconsin (19-4, 9-2) dropped to No. 15 in the polls this week, while Indiana (20-3, 9-1) currently sits at No. 13 heading into the teams? second meeting of the season Wednesday.

Though the Badgers handed the Hoosiers their lone conference loss of the season in a 62-49 decision at the Kohl Center two weeks ago, UW knows it won?t be easy to pick up a second win over IU.

?It is a complete different forty minutes,? senior Brian Butch said. ?They?re going to change some things they did last time; we?re going to change some things we do, and it?s going to be another one of those battles.?

Wisconsin built a double-digit lead in the second half in the first meeting, and Indiana?s late charge wasn?t enough to overcome the deficit.

Forward D.J. White led the Hoosiers with 22 points and 17 rebounds, and keeping the senior off the boards will be a priority for the Badgers.

?I think it?s going to be a great post-battle again,? Butch added.

Freshman Eric Gordon, along with White combined for 38 points in the first go-round, and they enter Wednesday?s game as the conference?s two leading scorers at 21.3 and 17.5 points per game, respectively. White is also the Big Ten?s leading rebounder.

?We got to prepare for the things that they?re going to present,? UW coach Bo Ryan said in his Monday press conference. ?The scout team needs to give us the best look they can of what Indiana brings. We don?t have Eric Gordon and D.J. White out there, but we?ve got some guys that are trying to be like them.?

Though Gordon and White got their points in the last game, no other Hoosier scored more than four points against the Badgers, and the ability to limit IU?s role players was critical in the win.

?They?re a good team,? Butch said. ?They [wouldn?t] have the record that they have if they’re not. ? One player just doesn?t make a team.?

Wisconsin had been above Indiana in the Big Ten standings, but an upset loss to Purdue last weekend sunk the Badgers down to third place, with the Hoosiers and Boilermakers above them.

?The loss hurts; no one likes to lose, but you can?t sorrow and soap about it,? Butch said.

?You?ve got to make sure you?re ready for the next one. You?ve got to stop a losing streak before it starts.?

Against Purdue, it was an 18-turnover game that hurt Wisconsin, and the Badgers must take better care of the ball if it hopes to leave Bloomington with a win.

?You?re always going to have some turnovers,? Butch said, ?but overall, it?s one of those things we have to look at and try and cut down a little bit.?

Now sitting two games back of conference leader Purdue, and one behind Indiana, the importance of the matchup isn?t getting past Wisconsin.

?We definitely need this one,? Butch said. ?Especially after dropping one at home.?

Boding well for Wisconsin is the fact that the team hasn?t lost consecutive games all season, though Ryan is hesitant to use a potential losing streak as a motivational tool.

?I?ve never used the, ?Guys, we can?t lose two in a row,??Ryan said.

But Indiana needs a win just as much as Wisconsin. The Hoosiers, with a win Wednesday, can turn the Big Ten into a two-team race with the Boilermakers.

Though getting payback for the earlier loss to UW might be in IU?s minds as well, Ryan doesn?t place too much importance on it.

?I think that people feel that way sometimes, but you still have to play the game,? Ryan said. ?If we competed out of revenge, I can?t say it would be the game that I know and love.?