Football Report Card

Game ball goes to: P.J. Hill (16 rushes, 132 yards)

After UW head coach Bret Bielema went as far as to say he thought freshman Zach Brown had caught P.J. Hill on the depth chart, Hill reasserted his control over the top tailback spot with an impressive power running display. Healthy for the first time in two months, Hill finished runs with authority and showed some breakaway speed on his 50-yard run. He was the best back on the field for either team.

Overall: B-

The Badgers entered the Outback Bowl having won their last two New Year?s Day bowls over SEC opponents and looked to do so again. With Tennessee missing several key players on both sides of the ball due to academic ineligibility, it looked as if Wisconsin would have a good chance to continue that streak.

The Badgers started slow, however, falling behind by two touchdowns midway through the second quarter ? a deficit that would prove too big to overcome.

In the end, Wisconsin simply didn?t take full advantage of its opportunities on offense and couldn?t find a way to slow down the Tennessee passing attack, leaving many players to say afterward that they had let one slip away.

Special teams: A

The special teams units kept Wisconsin afloat for most of the afternoon with a bevy of timely plays. David Gilreath set up the Badgers?
first touchdown of the game with a 60-yard kickoff return following the Volunteers? opening score and also contributed a 25-yard punt return. In his final game as a Badger, special teams ace Ben Strickland made two huge plays, downing a punt at the 1-yard line and later recovering a blocked punt. Ken DeBauche punted well (44.7 yards per punt) and Taylor Mehlhaff made his only field goal attempt of the day.

Offense: B-

Tough-as-nails quarterback Tyler Donovan showed his grit again, coming back twice from seemingly significant injuries. Donovan avoided costly mistakes, and with Tennessee taking away favorite target tight end Travis Beckum (two receptions, 22 yards), he looked to other options. Tight end Garrett Graham caught a game-high seven passes and freshman Kyle Jefferson caught three balls. Returning to the lineup fully healthy for the first time since late October, P.J. Hill gashed Tennessee for 132 yards on just 16 carries, including a long run of 50 yards. The offense failed to capitalize on good field position throughout the second half, however, including a crucial empty drive following a blocked punt.

Defense: B-

After allowing Tennessee to score 21 points over the first quarter and a half, the Wisconsin defense buckled down and stymied the Volunteers the rest of the way. With Jack Ikegwuonu at the other corner spot, Tennessee quarterback Erik Ainge picked on Strickland, starting in place of the injured Aaron Henry, and the senior answered the challenge. Strickland finished with seven tackles for the game, and most importantly, didn?t give up a big play. The defense struggled to get off the field, however, allowing Tennessee to convert on 9 of 18 third down attempts.

Up next: Akron (4-8, 3-5 MAC 2007)

UW will start next season with another opponent from the Mid-American Conference. The Badgers have matched up with a team from the MAC in five of the last six seasons ? including a 2003 game with Akron ? winning each of those contests. The Zips started the season 3-3 before losing five of their last six games to close out the year. Thousand-yard receiver Jabari Arthur will need to be replaced, but running back Bryan Williams rushed for 750 yards as a true freshman. Akron used a two-quarterback system in 2007, with sophomore Carlton Jackson adding a rushing threat to classmate Chris Jacquemain?s passing.