ESPY Awards to honor Jimmy V

Twenty-five years ago, the North Carolina State basketball team pulled off what many believe to be the greatest upset ever.

The scrappy Wolfpack, led by head coach Jim Valvano, entered the 1983 postseason needing to win the ACC tournament to earn a berth in the NCAA’s field of 48.

Valvano's squad swept away Wake Forest, North Carolina and No. 2 Virginia to make the tournament, then stayed hot all the way to the West regional final, when it danced past Ralph Sampson and Virginia again to make the Final Four as a lowly No. 6 seed.

The magic didn't stop there, however, as NC State topped Georgia to make the championship game and a date with Houston — a team with a notorious nickname (Phi Slamma Jamma) and a notorious high-flying game.

The Wolfpack had no chance. How could they? The Cougars had Clyde Drexler and Akeem Olajuwon — both of whom would go on to be named as two of the NBA’s 50 Greatest Players. The Cougars had won 26 straight games and just did away with Louisville's "Doctors of Dunk" team by 13 points. Valvano even went as far as to say if his team won the opening tip, it would stall and "hold the ball until Tuesday."

But facing long odds and longer opponents, Valvano's squad hung in there.

Tied with three seconds to go, guard Dereck Whittenburg threw up a prayer from near mid-court. Standing under the basket, Lorenzo Charles caught the air ball and dunked it for the win as time expired.

In the frenzied scene that followed, Valvano — Jimmy V to some — raced around the court bewildered, looking for someone to hug.

Ten years later, there he was again. Jimmy V, now on the television analyst side of basketball and diagnosed with cancer, was standing on stage behind a lectern at ESPN's ESPY Awards show after receiving the Arthur Ashe Courage Award.

Valvano announced that night the creation of the Jimmy V Foundation for Cancer Research.

Since that date, the foundation has raised more than $70 million for cancer research. And while a cure is still a ways away, progress is always being made.

Jimmy V lost his battle with cancer in 1993, but not before delivering a moving speech at ESPN's ESPY Awards show and establishing a cancer research foundation in his name.

Cancer has affected everyone on campus in one way or another. If you are one of the lucky few who hasn't had a relative or loved one affected, a friend surely has.

Tonight, when ESPN re-airs Valvano's moving speech between the early game (Kansas State vs. Notre Dame) and late game (USC vs. No. 2 Memphis) of the Jimmy V Classic, I ask you to watch.

In that speech, Valvano urges everyone to think, laugh and cry every day. It's hard not to do all three during that 10-minute video.

When it is done, try to donate something to the cause.

There are limitless numbers of incredibly worthy charitable causes, but when you stop and realize one in every two men — you or your roommate — and one in three women — you or your sister — will be diagnosed with cancer at some point, it's hard to think of a worthier cause to donate to than cancer research.

It doesn't need to be much. If you're tight for money, take the $10 you would spend on the last round at the bar one night and donate that. Sell a basketball or hockey ticket. Do something to help the cause.

NC State over Houston was an upset, but that victory will have nothing on finding a cure for cancer. When it happens, it won't be hard to imagine Valvano running around, elated, looking for someone to hug.

In the meantime, to quote the late coach:

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up."

Ben is a junior majoring in political science and journalism. He can be reached at [email protected]. You can donate to the V Foundation by calling 1-800-4JIMMYV or going online to www.jimmyv.org.