‘Let’s go Outback’: Badgers bound for Tampa bowl

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Bret_JS[/media-credit]

For the fourth consecutive year, Wisconsin will be playing in a New Year’s Day bowl game in Florida against an opponent from the Southeast Conference.

Unlike the past two years, however, the Badgers will not be playing in the Capital One Bowl.

Following a 9-3 season that saw the Badgers go 5-3 in the Big Ten and finish fourth in the conference, Wisconsin Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez announced Wednesday the team accepted a bid to play in the Outback Bowl.

"We're absolutely thrilled to be returning to Tampa for the Outback Bowl," Alvarez said in a university release. "It has been a tremendous destination for us the previous three times we have been there. Our players and fans have always enjoyed the Tampa area and everything the bowl brings to the table."

In their four previous trips to the bowl — two when it was called the Outback Bowl, two when it was named the Hall of Fame Bowl — the Badgers have experienced little success, winning only once. In 2005, the last time Wisconsin played in the Outback Bowl, it suffered a 24-21 loss to the Georgia Bulldogs.

"Our entire team is excited to be returning to Florida for our fourth straight January bowl game," Bielema said. "We've always heard terrific feedback from our fans who have followed us to Tampa in the past and I know we'll have a big sea of red down there again.

"We're looking forward to the warm weather, hospitality and a great game on New Year's Day."

Under normal circumstances, the Outback Bowl would not extend an invitation until after the Capital One Bowl chose its participants. However, because Wisconsin played in that Orlando bowl game the last two years, the decision was made by the Capital One Bowl selection committee, UW and the Big Ten to eliminate the Badgers from consideration.

"It has been decided that it is in the best interests of all concerned to release the Badgers from Capital One Bowl consideration," Selection Committee chair Tony Martin and bowl executive director Steve Hogan said in a release. "We believe this will help expedite the process of selecting a postseason destination for the University of Wisconsin and its fans."

Wisconsin's opponent for the game is still yet to be determined because the final SEC standings are still subject to change. That should be cleared up by Sunday, however, following its championship game and the announcement of the final Bowl Championship Series standings.

As of now, the most likely options for opponents would seem to be Florida and Tennessee, which plays LSU in the SEC Championship Game Saturday. If the Volunteers win, the Badgers would likely face the Gators. If Tennessee lose, it will then likely represent the SEC in the Outback Bowl.

The Badgers have won nine of their last 12 bowl games, dating back to 1994, including a 6-2 record in Jan. 1 bowl games.