Connelly impresses with 43-save shutout

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]MH_22_JN[/media-credit]

With a physical, talented North Dakota team in town, Wisconsin needed a big-time performance from its goaltender Shane Connelly.

He didn't disappoint.

The junior stopped 43 shots Friday night to pick up his fifth career shutout in what was arguably his best performance as a Badger and then followed it up with 31 saves Saturday, including a highlight-reel stick save as he was flying through the crease.

From the get-go, he denied an incessant flurry of shots flung at him from all directions to keep the Sioux at bay in the first period when the Badgers were caught flatfooted.

"We got outstanding goaltending that held us in there and gave us a chance to get our feet underneath us and find a way to score some goals," UW head coach Mike Eaves said.

Even as the Badger offense got into a rhythm and gave him some breathing room, Connelly remained focused.

"It was a big game, and I told myself that I really needed to step up to help my team win," Connelly said.

His outstanding play continued into the second and third periods. In the final frame alone, he stopped 25 shots, two shy of a program record for a period — Minnesota had 27 in the third frame of a game against Wisconsin back in 1980 — en route to a Badgers 4-0 win.

"I was in the zone, nothing else really mattered," Connelly said. "I could see the puck. It looked like a beach ball there tonight, and that's how I felt in the third period."

According to Eaves, Connelly's outstanding performance came at a convenient time, given the nature of the game and challenge North Dakota presented.

"Shane was seeing the puck very well. He couldn't have picked a better night to do that," Eaves said.

Before the game even began, there were signs that Connelly was due to have a good showing. During the pregame introductions, Connelly was introduced as Scott Gudmandson, the current backup goaltender for UW. The mistake helped the former loosen up prior to facing the No. 3 team in the country.

"It was actually good for me. It kind of brought me back down to reality, kind of gave me a laugh going into the start of the game," Connelly said.

Then when two shots clanked off the posts during the course of the game, that premonition was pretty well engraved in stone: This was his night.

"Sometimes you need help from the posts," Connelly said. "It was just one of those nights where bounces were going our way."

While Saturday's contest wasn't quite as memorable for the end result or the ice-clearing brawl, Connelly once again did what he could to keep a North Dakota team set on blood at bay.

If Friday was his best game of his Badger career, Saturday's save on UND forward's Brad Miller shot in front of the net was the best second of his career.

Totally suspended in air, Connelly managed to get his stick down on the wrist shot and send it back out to the point before it went into the goal. His acrobatic save kept the score at 2-0 North Dakota and got the crowd of 15,237 on its feet.

"It had to do with his athleticism. He never gave up on the play, and he used his quickness and agility to pull the puck out before it crossed the line," Eaves said. "He looked like a triple salchow."

"It was just lucky," Connelly said of his save.

Although Connelly gave up another goal later in the period and three during the game, Eaves was impressed with his preparation and efforts both nights.

"We had not seen this type of performance from Shane all season, and … this was just part of his test," Eaves said.

Connelly is now 4-3 on the year with a 2.29 GAA and .921 save percentage in seven games.