Cinderellas fly under national radar

It’s been a wacky road thus far in the land of college football, to say the least. This season has featured not only an absurd amount of jaw-dropping upsets, but has also had an abundance of Cinderella-like teams still vying for BCS Bowl bids. These teams have come out of virtually nowhere and with just four weeks left in the regular season, have transformed from preseason unknowns into top 15 contenders in the BCS standings. Just how good are these teams, and what are their actual chances of playing in a BCS Bowl? Let’s take a look:

No. 2 Boston College (8-0)

If it weren’t for Oregon quarterback Dennis Dixon, BC senior quarterback Matt Ryan may have locked up the Heisman Trophy last Thursday night with his come-from-behind fourth quarter victory against then-No. 8 Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va.

Aside from Thursday’s 14-10 victory over the Hokies, the Eagles have beaten their remaining seven opponents by double digits each week, which always helps in wooing the BCS computers. Because there is now an ACC championship game prior to the bowl season, the Eagles most likely control their own destiny. Should they finish 13-0, it would be criminal if they did not play for the national championship, especially if their ACC championship victory comes over the Hokies.

However, if the Eagles drop a game before the season ends, their chances of playing for the title are slim, as they only play one currently ranked team in their final four games (No. 25 Clemson, not including the aforementioned championship game), which will hurt their BCS status. The ACC’s overall weakness this season (in large part due to Miami and Florida State) could really hurt the Eagles come December. If Arizona State, Oregon, LSU, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Kansas or even Missouri finishes with only one loss, they would have the upper hand over BC because of schedule strength. That said, finishing 12-1 would earn the Eagles a spot in a BCS Bowl of some kind, probably the FedEx Orange Bowl.

No. 4 Arizona State (8-0)

With USC, Oregon, UCLA, and Cal all in the Pac-10, no one really even gave Arizona State a chance at competing out West before the season began. Well, the Sun Devils are for real and now lead the Pac-10 outright. Believe it or not, they have a legitimate shot at a national title, should they win out. But with a trip to Oregon Saturday and a date with USC still looming, that will be easier said than done. However, should the Devils beat the Ducks and the Trojans and finish 12-0, odds are they will find themselves playing for the title in January.

If for some reason ASU, BC and Ohio State finish undefeated, that would present a serious problem. It’s wildly unlikely, but if that scenario were to happen, BC would most likely be the unlucky one, again because of the ACC’s weakness this season.

Finishing with one loss would most likely still be enough for the Sun Devils to earn a BCS Bowl bid, however.

No. 8 Kansas (8-0)

Due to the perennial depth in the Big XII, Kansas, in recent years, has never been in the mix for a conference title. No one would have thought that come Nov. 1, Kansas, not Oklahoma or Texas, would be leading the Big XII. The Jayhawks have edged out Colorado and Texas A&M over the past two weeks by five and eight points, respectively, but a favorable schedule featuring only one currently ranked team (No. 9 Missouri at home) plays into KU’s favor. However, before hoping for a chance at a national title (assuming the previously mentioned undefeated teams all lose), the Jayhawks would have to come away with a victory in the Big XII championship game, which at this point looks like it’s going to be against Oklahoma, a team Kansas has yet to play this season.

Finishing with one loss is more realistic, which would most likely earn them a BCS Bowl bid, especially if they represent the Big XII North in the conference championship game.

No. 13 Connecticut (7-1)

One loss in a diminished Big East Conference is not enough for even an outside chance for the Huskies to earn a spot in the national championship game. But even being mentioned in the BCS race is an accomplishment for a team that became a Division I program only four years ago. It’s safe to say that no one, maybe not even the Huskies themselves, saw UConn leading the Big East this late in the season. West Virginia, Louisville and Rutgers certainly would have laughed at that proposition.

Despite its perfect conference record (3-0), UConn has a tough road ahead of them, including at Cincinnati, Rutgers and finishing the season at No. 7 West Virginia. Should the Huskies finish their Cinderella season 11-1, they have a very good shot at landing a BCS Bowl bid. Unfortunately, anything short of that won’t cut it. Nonetheless, it’s been a successful year in Storrs.

No. 14 Hawaii (8-0)

Hawaii is different than the previously mentioned teams; people knew about Colt Brennan and the Rainbow Warrior offense before the season began. Last season, undefeated Boise State stole a “major” team’s spot in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl and ultimately beat Oklahoma in one of the most exciting college football games ever played. Should Hawaii finish perfectly this season, which is quite likely, they deserve to follow in the men of the blue turf’s footsteps and play in a BCS Bowl; it would be unfair and hypocritical if they didn’t. Hawaii beat Boise State this season, and if going undefeated in Division I isn’t enough to play in a BCS Bowl (even if it is the WAC), then something is wrong with the system.

Can anyone say “playoffs”?