Freshman Turris show’s he’s legit

Hail to firewagon hockey.

For the first time since Mike Eaves took over the head coaching position of the UW men’s hockey program, the team plays with a high-flying, up-and-down attack.

Unquestionably, the 13,500-plus fans who went to the Kohl Center Saturday night have an idea what I mean when I say that the men’s hockey team is exciting to watch. For the rest of you who don’t, and perhaps will never attend a game, you’re about to find out.

Of course it’s early in the year, but watching Eaves’ energetic bunch this past weekend made me realize that Insidecollegehockey.com wasn’t kidding when it said this team has talent. First line, second line, third line — it doesn’t matter — these Badgers are going to score.

Just look at the numbers put up against Robert Morris College. The Badgers scored 15 goals — eight on power plays — over two games to rip the Colonials 7-2 and 8-2.

Nine different players scored at least one point, including six of the seven freshmen who played outside of the net (rookie Scott Gudmandson started in goal for the first time and picked up a win Saturday). Eight of the nine have either scored a point or win.

Through four games this season, Wisconsin has accumulated nearly one-fourth of last year’s goal output in one-tenth the time. No, Robert Morris isn’t a great team — nothing like what Wisconsin will see in the WCHA. However, the Colonials are good enough to beat eighth-ranked Boston University, and they’re good enough to contend with many other ranked schools.

Statistically speaking, this group has more talent than Wisconsin’s ’99-00 squad that had the likes of NHL stars Steve Reinprecht and Dany Heatley on it. Those offensive-oriented Badgers scored 19 goals in the season’s first four games compared to 22 scored by this year’s team.

So too does the 2005-06 championship team pale in comparison. It took it seven games to reach 22 goals.

More captivating than the goals they have scored is the way they play. These Badgers remind me of how the Soviets were described in the 1980 Olympics: talented, fast, dynamic — but with the United States’ team’s spirit, innocent and not willing to lose.

Freshman center Kyle Turris is simply dazzling. He is everything the program could have hoped for and more (unlike Wisconsin’s last first-round pick, Jack Skille). He beats everyone to the puck with an effortless ease reserved for a soaring eagle, and his awareness is better than the Daredevil’s (whose only superpower is that his other senses are enhanced).

All told, Turris’ talents have translated into a national-best 12 points — three more than his closest competition, Kevin Clark of Alaska-Anchorage — in four games.

Turris may be the fuel that lights the firewagon hockey the Badgers play, but the crazy thing is he’s not the only one torching the competition.

Linemates Brendan Smith and Kyle Klubertanz zip pucks through walls of defenders to find open teammates in front of the net. The two blue liners have combined for three goals and eight assists.

And then there’s little Patrick Johnson. The 5-foot-9, 155-pound freshman plays like he’s 6-foot-5, according to UW head coach Mike Eaves; he has the no fear mindset, despite being smaller than just about everyone on the ice. The Madison native and son of former UW and 1980 Winter Olympic great Mark Johnson has provided an instant spark on Wisconsin’s second line, scoring five points.

Simply, everyone is the beneficiary of stronger play. Players like sophomore Blake Geoffrion have seen the biggest jump in production. All of last season he scored six points. Saturday alone, he tallied five.

“I have to give a lot of credit to my linemates,” Geoffrion said following his career night. “It’s good that they have my back, and we just have to keep it going.”

While the season and team are young, don’t let that fool you. Turris and company are rocking, and I’m not sure that anyone can stop them.

Kevin Hagstrom is a senior double majoring in journalism and economics. He can be reached to talk firewagon hockey at [email protected].