UW not throwing in towel

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]FB-at-Illinois-10.06.07-093[/media-credit]Two losses in two weeks took Wisconsin from a national ranking and Big Ten title contention to the middle of the conference with a 2-2 record.

Despite the likelihood of the Badgers winning the Big Ten being slim to none, UW head coach Bret Bielema brushes that notion aside and firmly believes that there is always something to play for.

"The season is a journey, and the more that you focus on the end of the journey, the further off it'll become," Bielema said during a press conference Monday. "Sometimes the easiest answers are right in front of you."

With that, now more than ever during his time as Wisconsin's head coach, Bielema said he must focus on his 1-0 mentality.

"I thought a responsibility that I should have emphasized even further last week was the 1-0 mentality — that the only thing we had to focus on was Penn State," he said.

According to Bielema, the team must not deter from its week-to-week mentality.

While changes aren't imminent by any means after two consecutive losses and struggles offensively and defensively that have extended beyond those two games, Bielema will be spending some time reevaluating the team's current situation.

"You have to go back and evaluate and make sure do you have the right personnel, the right scheme and did you call it in the right situation. If so, how would you do it differently in the future," Bielema said. "As coaches, we have to maximize and take advantage of every opportunity we have to make a play."

Running back depth for Saturday

Freshman Zach Brown has pleased coaches the past two weeks with not only his work ethic in practice, but with his performance on the field.

Last week the backup ball carrier managed just 13 total yards on four touches. He would have had more, however, if not for a holding penalty that negated a big run.

Given that Saturday is a home game, and therefore sophomore running back Lance Smith is available to play, it will come down to how well Brown practices this week to determine whether he will retain the backup role.

"Basically, coach (John) Settle will express to the entire group, with P.J. Hill included, that the people that practice this week and do well during the course of the week will be the guys that take the field first," Bielema said.

While there is no question that Hill is the starting running back, according to Bielema, he too must have a good week of practice to determine how large his role will be and in what situations. Brown has been quite effective in the passing game covering his assignments.

"Obviously, P.J. — in short yardage situations, normal first-and-10 situations — is our best option, but Zach has really shown us some things on third downs as well as his ability to change the game with his speed," Bielema said.

Hubbard''s status

Paul Hubbard, who has been out since Sept. 8 with a sprained knee, resumed practicing last week.

His speed was there; however, he was unable to compete or run any routes. That changed yesterday, but only slightly. Hubbard ran some routes without any significant setbacks.

"He hasn't really pushed against a body yet, so we don't know how his body is going to react," Bielema said. "He's going to be out there. He's been cleared for practice, but you don't know how his body is going to respond because this is a little bit ahead of schedule."

His absence, along with the recent season-ending injury to fellow senior wideout Luke Swan, has put significant pressure on Wisconsin's freshmen who have responded well, particularly Kyle Jefferson.

"Kyle Jefferson was recognized as our offensive MVP," Bielema said about Jefferson's performance Saturday. "Also, a point of note, he's having a 19.7-yard average, which is top in the country for any freshman receiver and 12th overall. So the circumstances that he's came about to play were ones that we didn't like, but obviously, he's making the most of that opportunity."

Still, it will be good to get an experienced hand, who finished second on the team with 627 receiving yards in 2006, back into the mix.