Still looking for offense, UW to face rival

[media-credit name=’GREGORY DIXON/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]MSoccer_10_GD_2[/media-credit]The film for this past weekend's men's soccer game didn't survive for long in the hands of Badger head coach Jeff Rohrman.

"While we did spend time Monday addressing the issues we saw (on video), I told the guys ‘You know what? I'm going to burn this DVD now. It's time to put this behind us.'"

The Badgers (5-4-2, 0-2-1 Big Ten), fresh off one of their toughest matchups of the year in No. 7 Northwestern, cannot afford to dwell on the disappointing conference loss for long, as they must face in-state rival UW-Milwaukee on the road tonight.

The Panthers, one of UW’s bigger nonconference rivals, and the Badgers have met 29 times since their first meeting in 1977. However, while UW has the most recent win in the series, a 2-0 shutout at Milwaukee in 2005, the Panthers lead the all-time series with a record of 13-11-5.

"Whenever we play one of our in-state rivals, whether it be UW-Milwaukee, Green Bay or Marquette, I always tell our players to be prepared to be in a battle. It doesn't matter what the records are," Rohrman said. "You're under the lights on a cool, crisp night. It's going to be a game that will be played at an extremely high pace, and having to adjust to that kind of intensity is what this rivalry is all about."

Last year, the game between the two went well into the night as the two teams played 110 minutes of soccer that eventually ended in a 2-2 draw at the McClimon Soccer Complex.

This time around, the Badgers will be looking to use the annual meeting as a springboard for the second half of the season.

Since its 4-0 shutout of the NIU Huskies two weeks ago, the Wisconsin offense has been nonexistent, going without a goal in its past two matchups against Michigan State and Northwestern.

"I think the guys have a lot of confidence that we can rebound," Rohrman said. "We played really well in both second halves of the games that we lost. As long as we can minimize the mistakes that we make, continue to stay focused and maintain an assertive attack, I think that everyone on the team would agree that we have the kind of players that can put the ball in the back of the net and win games for us."

Wednesday's game will also mark the return of two of the team's premier players, sophomore midfielder Pablo Delgado and junior forward Victor Diaz. Both players have been battling injuries the past couple of weeks, forcing Rohrman to experiment with many different personnel adjustments on the offensive end.

"In some ways, (Delgado and Diaz) both have a very good sense of where each other is on the field and how to move the ball to them. There is certainly a high level of comfort in playing off of each other as well as with the rest of the team, something that makes them very dangerous as we move forward offensively," Rohrman said.

UW will look to give its offense a boost in this match by straying a little from its normal formation and adding another forward to the mix in hope that the extra man will "close out some of the gaps" with which the Milwaukee defense has to work.

With a team that looks to be back to full strength, the Badgers hope that tonight's game DVD will be around much longer than the last.