Badgers prepare for Big Ten tests

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]VB_JS[/media-credit]After being on the road for the last five weeks, the University of Wisconsin volleyball team will make its long-awaited home debut this weekend against Purdue on Friday and Indiana on Saturday.

The Badgers, who have not had a home game since the end of August are excited to play in front of their fans at the Field House.

"We've had a really long road swing here, and just to be back at the Field House in front of our fans and friends — it's going to be awesome," co-captain Jocelyn Wack said. "It's been a long trip, but we've got a lot accomplished on the road that we wanted to, and now, just establishing ourselves at home."

During their road trip, the Badgers suffered only one loss against BYU in early September. They have gone 9-1 on the road and are undefeated in Big Ten play with a record of 4-0. Wisconsin continues to hold its place at ninth in the CSTV/AVCA Coaches Poll.

The main focus for the Badgers this week has been their defense. The UW offense, which ranks second in the Big Ten in hitting percentage, has been potent so far. The team is trying to work on the number of digs and blocks that it has per game.

"Definitely our biggest focus right now has been our defense and block," said senior setter Jackie Simpson. "Our offense has been clicking pretty well. Our passing has been great all season, but we really need to step up another level on our defense."

Head coach Pete Waite says his team will need good defense this weekend to combat the grittiness of both opponents.

"We have been working on our defense quite a bit," Waite said. "We know these teams are both scrappy and have good offenses, so we really have to dig more balls and match up with the blocks that we are getting now. So, that has been our biggest focus."

Purdue, whose record is 9-6, is ranked sixth in the Big Ten with a 2-2 conference record. The Boilermakers are led by junior outside hitter Stephanie Lynch. Lynch ranks 10th in the Big Ten in points, averaging 4.81 per game. They are also known for their defense.

"Purdue is just a really scrappy team," Wack said. "They have always been known for their good defense, and that's really frustrating for hitters at times because they'll be hitting balls as hard as they can and they will get dug up. So, it's going to be a challenge to just keep swinging at them and out dig them, too. We want to have more digs on our side."

Indiana, which has a new coaching staff this season, is off to a surprising start. They have defeated annual Big Ten contenders Iowa and Ohio State. The Hoosiers are led by junior Erica Short, who had 27 kills and a .400 hitting percentage against the Buckeyes.

"They've got a new staff, and so they've got a new energy and they have some new faces in the lineup," Waite said. "I think they have two or three freshman on the court, so they are people that we haven't played against yet. We have to get our tendencies down, and we have to match up with them pretty well."

This weekend will be the first time that the student body has been able to see the Badgers play. But there is excitement among the players as well. They look forward to taking to court to a roaring crowd and the support at home.

"[We are looking forward to] being here in front of our fans. Five weeks on the road made us appreciate even more the energy that we get from our crowd," Waite said. "A lot of people are saying they are coming out [Friday] and looking forward to seeing us again. We are especially excited to see the student crowd out there because they have not had a chance to see this team much at all."