Report Card: Grading Wisconsin’s performance

Game Ball gGoes to: Travis Beckum, TE, Wisconsin

After getting called out this week by UW head coach Bret Bielema for not being a "complete player," Beckum asserted himself when injuries depleted the Badgers receiving corps to catch a career-high 10 balls for 132 yards and a touchdown.

The junior not only had one of the best games of his career, he stepped up and found ways to get open when Wisconsin was forced to put inexperienced receivers out on the field. At halftime, he had already established a personal best with nine receptions.

Bielema lit a fire in his tight end's belly, and Beckum responded.

Overall: B

Forced into a shootout because its defense reverted to its bumbling ways, Wisconsin was able to use a record day by return man David Gilreath, the usual 100-plus yard performance from running back P.J. Hill and another game-winning fourth quarter drive to win, 37-34.

Penalties on offense, missed tackles and poor angles taken on the ball carrier on defense resulted in a game that was too close for comfort, considering how well Tyler Donovan and the offense played.

Now, for the fifth consecutive week, the Badgers have to figure out a way to play a complete game.

Offense: B+

The biggest concern on offense was penalties. Otherwise, it played great.

Tyler Donovan passed for 240 yards and two touchdowns in the first half, finding Beckum nine times for 121 yards and completing a ball over the top to freshman Kyle Jefferson for a 64-yard pass play. P.J. Hill was dynamite again. He rushed 34 times for 155 yards and two touchdowns. Lance Smith got into the mix, picking up 54 yards on 6 carries.

Although Donovan threw two picks, he directed the offense to 37 points and was able to match Michigan State punch for punch.

Defense: D

After seemingly rediscovering themselves last week against Iowa, the defense took several steps back Saturday. It gave up 564 yards of total offense, including 241 yards on the ground. Excluding sacks, which affect rushing totals, Michigan State averaged 8.7 yards per carry.

For the first time all season, Wisconsin forced a fumble to set up a field goal late in the second quarter. The Badgers recorded a season-high five sacks and did make back-to-back stops on third and fourth down to effectively end the ball game, but 34 points, three plays of 53 or more yards and numerous missed tackles don't cut it.

Special Teams: A-

In a close game like Saturday's, intangibles often end up making the difference between a win and a loss.

Wisconsin's special teams were that difference.

Kicker Taylor Mehlhaff remained perfect on the season, hitting all three of his field goal attempts. His 22-yard kick midway through the fourth quarter proved to be the game-winner.

David Gilreath rebounded after a fumble-prone game last week to set a UW record for kickoff return yards with 189. Ken DeBauche had another strong performance and the unit kept the ever-dangerous Devin Thomas at bay in the return game.