Hawkeyes hope QB Christensen improves

The scoreboard at the end of the game might have only read 15-13 in favor of the Iowa State Cyclones, but Iowa Hawkeye fans know the real score between the two bitter in-state rivals is really much worse.

Although the Hawkeyes have dominated in the series' 31-year history — at one point winning 15 consecutive games against the Cyclones — the team has struggled since the 1998 season. Since then, the Cy-Hawk trophy has been in Ames, not Iowa City, for seven of the past 10 years.

In Ames, the Hawkeyes have not fared well of late either, winning one in the past 10 years.

"It certainly was a disappointing weekend for us in Ames," Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said in a press conference Tuesday. "It was a huge rivalry game and [Iowa State] clearly outplayed us and handed us a loss on what was basically the last play of the game."

While the Iowa head coach certainly didn't want to start conference play 2-1, he has been quick to make sure his players don't dwell on the loss.

"Yes, it will sting for a while, but we need to go back to work fast, and in a quality manner, because we are playing an outstanding football team this weekend," Ferentz said.

Iowa will have to bring its "A-game" this Saturday when the team rolls into Madison.

After a poor offensive day this past weekend, the Hawkeyes hope their sophomore quarterback Jake Christensen, who scored the lone touchdown on the day using his feet instead of his arm, will be able to get the passing game up to par as well.

Hart makes good on promise

In a storied rivalry that exists between Michigan and Notre Dame, the teams have never played in a game quite like the one last weekend. With both sitting on 0-2 records for the first time ever, the two winningest programs in college football history faced off not for a BCS bid, but for less public scrutiny.

Michigan came out victorious in the contest, looking much like the team that was originally pegged as the Big Ten favorite heading into the season. Michigan running back Mike Hart, who had earlier in the week guaranteed a win versus the Irish, came through for the Wolverines, rushing for 187 yards.

Despite the numerous calls for his resignation after Michigan’s surprising start, head coach Lloyd Carr believes that the season is far from being over.

"We are still looking to be the best in our conference, despite what has happened so far," Carr said. "We have the next eight weeks to show what we can do against these conference teams. There are a lot of rivalries to play out still, and as long as there is one more game, there is always something to play for."

Michigan will go from facing the worst statistical offense in D-I football, Notre Dame, to facing one of the best, Penn State.

Although Penn State has looked good to start, it has historically struggled against the Wolverines. Its last win came back in 1996.

Keep the ball rolling

One of the more surprising teams of the 2007 season has been the Michigan State Spartans, a team many wrote off early in the year due to their new young coach and traditionally tough schedule.

After a 2006 season that included several close losses, including one against Notre Dame at home in front of a national audience, the Spartans came into the season with question marks all over the field. In addition to losing senior quarterback Drew Stanton to the Detroit Lions, the Spartans also sustained heavy losses at wide receiver.

However, the flight of key members of the offensive unit has not disrupted the team’s ability to put points on the board. Through three games, the Spartans have put up a very respectable 100 points on offense.

In their most recent game against Pittsburgh, first year head coach Mark Dantonio was pleased with what he saw.

"This football game (against Pitt) was very important to us from a confidence standpoint," Dantonio said. "We played very well on defense, taking back one of our four turnovers for a score. We were able to move the ball fairly well, but we need to work on finishing the drives we put together."

Michigan State will look to move to 4-0 as they head down to South Bend to play the struggling Notre Dame Irish this weekend.

"Going down to Notre Dame will be a huge challenge for us this week," Dantonio said. "It is a rivalry game that our players will be very excited to play."