Season defined by moments for UW men’s tennis

Defining moments in sports can often come unexpectedly.

For the UW men's tennis team that has had its fair share of them over a very successful spring season, the one that might go overlooked happened more than two months ago.

Wisconsin, at the time, was looking to open its conference season on the same strong note that led to an early 5-1 record. The Badgers did just that, defeating a good Penn State team, 4-3.

While any conference win is a big one when you play in the Big Ten, this one turned out to be especially meaningful as the team closed out the regular season just as it began it, 5-1.

Both the Nittany Lions and the Badgers finished fourth in the Big Ten at 6-4. So when it came time to seed the teams for the Big Ten tournament, it was the Badgers who received the higher seed.

Coincidentally, UW will get another chance to define itself against PSU, as the two are slated to play in the first round.

Along with the same 6-4 records and close finish in their head-to-head matchup, Wisconsin and Penn State were both virtually neck-and-neck in the national rankings as well, at No. 40 and No. 41, respectively.

So while the Badgers ended up with the higher seed, their opponent isn't an ideal first round draw. Still, the team is going to approach this match the same way it approaches every match: with a high level of intensity.

"When you are in a tournament where you're out with one loss, you have to be ready for anything," head coach Greg Van Emburgh said. "You need to be able to go full out every time you step on the court."

The last time these two teams played, Wisconsin held the home court advantage, a luxury it will not have this time around. Instead, the match will be played in West Lafayette, Ind., meaning that UW will have to adjust to playing a hungry PSU team in a neutral environment.

"[Penn State] will definitely be looking for revenge against us," Van Emburgh said. "I'm sure their coach will be telling them, 'We lost 4-3 to these guys earlier this year — let's get that one back!'"

Should Wisconsin beat Penn State for a second time this season Friday morning, it would most likely face the No. 3-seeded Ohio State Buckeyes — the last team to beat the Badgers — Saturday.

"I think they've lost once this year to Georgia, who's ranked, who's the No. 1 team in the country, so they're really good, Ohio State, and they're going to be tough for anybody to beat," Van Emburgh said in a press conference Monday.

Still, should UW get that far, Van Emburgh has confidence that his team can contend with OSU, especially considering the level at which freshman Moritz Baumann and the rest of the team have been playing.

"Not looking past Penn State, but if we do play [Ohio State], I think we have a good chance," Van Emburgh said. "And I think it really comes down to the guys believing in themselves at that particular day. Ohio State is really solid throughout their lineup, but we have guys that can play with their guys even or better. So when you're going into a match, and you're even or better, you want to feel good about maybe having the outcome come your way on that given day."

But first, the team must get past Penn State.

"I've been telling [the team] to just relax," he said. "As long as we go out there and lay it all out on the line, we can get the kind of results we are looking for."

Hopefully for Wisconsin, that result turns out to be the kind of defining moment that is never forgotten.