Wrestlers take on football mentality

As the University of Wisconsin wrestling team heads to the NCAA championships this weekend, head coach Barry Davis may be taking a page out of Bret Bielema's book.

"Coach Bielema came in before we headed to the Big Tens and told us the same thing he told his guys, 'Always think 1-0,'" Davis said. "I think that's the philosophy that we need this weekend, too. When things don't go your way, you need to think about it and respond."

Led by seventh seed and returning All-American Craig Henning, the Badgers will have three wrestlers going in with top-15 seeds. Henning, the seventh seed at 157 lbs., finished eight at least year's NCAA championships and took third place at the Big Tens two weeks ago. Henning, who leads the team with 27-3 record, squares off against Devin Mesanko of Columbia.

"I think I've got a real good chance," Henning said. "This year I feel a lot more prepared then I have the last couple of times. Right now there's no doubt in my mind that I'm the best guy and that I can win."

Freshman phenom Kyle Ruschell, currently 17-5, is the Big Ten runner-up this year at 141 lbs. and is seeded No. 10.

Ruschell, who handed then-No. 1 Manual Rivera his first loss of the season two weeks ago at the Big Ten Championships, will take on Michael Keefe of Chattanooga.

"Beating two guys at the Big Ten's who had beaten me earlier was a huge boost of confidence," Ruschell said. "All the guys in my weight class are really close; … it's anyone's game this weekend."

The third Badger heading into this weekend seeded is No. 12 Dallas Herbst.

Herbst, currently 28-6 on the season, has a team-high 15 pins on the year and leads with 97 team points scored in dual competition. He will face Sam Wendland of Wyoming in his opening round match.

"Those guys have all beaten guys who have been ranked No. 1," Davis said. "They know what it's like to wrestle against good competition. Craig's been there before, so has Herbst. Ruschell is only a freshman, but if he performs like he did at the Big Tens, he should be fine."

Other Badgers competing for a national championship include three-time NCAA qualifier Collin Cudd at 125 lbs., wildcard Zach Tanelli at 133 lbs., lone senior and three-time qualifier Tyler Turner at 149 lbs., Matt Maciag at 174 lbs., true freshman Trevor Brandvold at 184 lbs. and heavyweight Kyle Massey.

"I'm really excited right now," Cudd said. "This is one of my last chances to make a real impression here. Right now I'm wrestling well, and I'm peaking at the right time. That's the biggest thing this time of year. You have to peak at the right time."

As a team, Wisconsin will be looking to improve upon its 21st finish at last year's national championships.

Nationals is where it's at, and now it's our time to shine," Ruschell said.