Wisconsin faces 2007 crossroads

The future of the Wisconsin men's basketball team has never been murkier this season. Ms. Cleo would even have a tough time reading this one.

With an injured starter and the team crashing from an all-time high of the school's first-ever No. 1 ranking to the season low of a two-game losing streak and also losing the conference race in a matter of six days, the Badgers are at a crossroads. Will they go the way of the 2005 squad that won the Big Ten Tournament and advanced to the Elite Eight, or will they go the route of the '06 team and tailspin?

"It can go bad," Tucker said. "But I'm looking at it as we can really bounce back and go strong from here on out. … We're going to look to come back strong, come back in the (Big Ten Tournament) strong and make a long run in the NCAA."

The UW Athletic Communications Department announced Saturday's contest between Michigan State and Wisconsin will take place at 11 a.m. — had UW defeated Ohio State, the Badgers would be playing at 3 p.m. on CBS. The Associated Press poll also was released, with Bucky dropping to No. 4. However, the word that Badger fans were waiting most anxiously on is the status of forward Brian Butch. The junior from Appleton took a nasty fall at the midway point of the first half, injuring his right elbow. He was seen roaring in pain and being helped off the court.

Monday evening the team announced the forward will miss four to six weeks with a dislocated and fractured right elbow.

Butch's status only amplifies the fact that Wisconsin (26-4, 12-3 Big Ten) is certainly at a crossroads in its season.

Will UW's seniors be able to bounce back after a terrible week, where Alando Tucker, Kammron Taylor and Jason Chappell combined to make only 15 of 53 shots (28 percent)?

Will Wisconsin overcome the huge negative momentum obtained from a devastating week of road losses — both in wins and personnel — to return to its winning ways?

To a man, every member of the team described Sunday's loss as a tough one. It could be one that takes a little more time to forget about. To that end, the Badgers do catch a lucky break to have a bye this week, not having to take the court again until next Saturday against Michigan State for Senior Day, time that might be crucial for the team to regroup.

"We are going to get a chance to reflect on what it is we need to work on," Taylor said.

Tucker expressed that if possible he'd be ready to play at the drop of a hat, particularly after such a disappointing loss.

"I'm ready to get back, especially after a game like this," Tucker said, adding that the team will have to recover from the bump to the Buckeyes. "If we hang our heads down, (Michigan State) is going to run us out of the gym. That can't happen."

Eventually, even UW's star forward admitted the break could work in the team's favor.

"The rest we can take it up," Tucker said. "Especially going into the Big Ten Tourney, we could use that rest to our advantage."

Ryan stated that regardless of when the Badgers played next his team would be prepared.

"If there was a pickup game we'd be ready. If it's a regular game, we'd be ready. If it's practice we're ready," Ryan said. "Just get and get after it."

"We're very confident that we can still make a run," Tucker said.