Street paves way as lone model of consistency

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]MH-vs-Minnesota-028-JS[/media-credit]As the University of Wisconsin men's hockey team heads down the final stretch of the WCHA season, it will be looking to find a measure of consistency.

While team play has been as up-and-down as it gets, UW sophomore forward Ben Street has been the picture of consistency over the past two months, scoring in six of the Badgers' last eight series.

The added fact that Street has not scored more than once in any series this season says it all about how Street has simply made the most out of his ability in his sophomore season, according to head coach Mike Eaves.

"His overall sense of the game and confidence in what he can do, and understanding what kind of player he is and needs to become to be his best — I think he's settling into that," Eaves said. "These young guys, they all want to be 50-goal scorers and such, but in the reality, we all have gifts and abilities."

"Street's one of those guys — he's not a flashy guy, but he can skate," added senior forward Andrew Joudrey. "He knows the game. He's smart out there. He's just getting to the areas."

Street has spent most of this year either at center or on the wing of the third line, but has also seen some time as the second line's center between senior Ross Carlson and freshman Michael Davies. Regardless of where he's been playing, Street has become a steady contributor for the Badgers, and currently ranks second on the team with seven goals.

The Coquitlam, British Columbia native said his growth plan in the offseason has helped him to stand out as a strong offensive player this season.

"I think it's been a real maturing year for me," Street said. "I put on lots of muscle and weight, and the start of the season was kind of adjusting to that. Now I feel like I'm starting to find out what kind of player I am, getting more into my comfort zone, I guess."

Joudrey made a comparison of Street to former Badger Joe Pavelski, who last year led Wisconsin in assists (33), points (56), power-play goals (11) and game-winners (6). Joudrey said Street has been successful at putting himself in the right place at the right time and taking advantage of his opportunities, just like Pavelski did at UW.

"It's funny, someone like Joe Pavelski, he couldn't bench-press 300 pounds, wasn't the fastest guy, but he found a way to hit the areas and get open for shots," Joudrey said. "Ben, he's been doing a good job of that, finding himself open, and when he gets a chance, he's been putting the puck in the net."

Street has a chance to earn his second-straight season with double-digit goals (he scored 10 his freshman year), and his teammates are hoping to put a lot of pucks in the net this weekend against visiting Alaska-Anchorage (11-14-3, 7-14-1 WCHA). This series could prove crucial to both teams' hopes of moving up in the standings, and possibly earning the right to an opening round series at home.

Though the Badgers (11-15-2, 8-11-1) and Seawolves sit in eighth and ninth place in the WCHA respectively, the conference's fifth spot lies just three points ahead of UW and five ahead of UAA. With the top five teams hosting WCHA playoff rounds, the Badgers say they're not giving up on their conference year just yet.

"We know what we're capable of in this room," Street said. "I'm excited that we've got the opportunity. … We're in a big playoff race — that's where every player wants to be. Every game's so big. That's what's fun [about it], so I think it's more exciting for us."

With last weekend's debacle at Colorado College behind them, the Badgers are determined to come back and turn the tables on the Seawolves, a team that earned a surprise series split in Anchorage Nov. 3-4.

"Coach has done a great job with us in the fact that once you come in Monday, you see something about Anchorage up on the board," Joudrey said. "It's tough losing both games on the weekend, but having that turnaround right away helps us get our focus changed to the next task ahead."

There's a slight chance junior Kyle Klubertanz, who did not make the trip to Colorado last week, could participate in the Saturday game against UAA, but Wisconsin is planning at this point to go without their preseason All-American defenseman.

"It's tough. Kyle's one of the main focuses of our team. It's tough calling back and forth with [different] partners," said Jeff Likens, senior defenseman and Klubertanz' blue line mate. "Hopefully, we can get him back as soon as possible. He's a great player — we need him out there."