Prince halftime show among reasons Super Sunday rocks

Some people are saying this year's Super Bowl won't be so super. While Super Bowl XLI might not go down in history as one of the best, any true sports fan has every reason to watch the big game Sunday, even if they're not sports-related…

Food and beer

Food and beer are two necessities of American and, even more so, college life. And what goes better with food and beer than football?

Come on, it's the last football Sunday until next fall — the last time you'll have the NFL as an excuse to shove away homework and kick back in your EZ Boy recliner.

Plenty of bars throw Super Bowl parties offering all you can eat and drink, but if that's not your thing, throw one of your own with your buddies. Bring all the hors d'oeuvres and as much beer as you can. The Super Bowl is the next best day to Thanksgiving for football, food and drink.

The commercials

The commercials are always a big draw, as advertisers shell out nearly $2.5 million for a 30-second spot during the big game. But have you heard about this guy who is buying a commercial this year in which he'll propose to his girlfriend? If not, log onto www.mysuperproposal.com.

What a loser.

It's "the most public declaration of love in the history of mankind." Please, the idea sounds more like the most lame declaration.

Save yourself the money, propose to her on the JumboTron at the game if that's what you really want, and top it off with some kick-butt honeymoon instead.

Nevertheless, it should be pretty entertaining and yet another reason to watch the Super Bowl.

The halftime show

This year, the artist once known as Prince, then an unpronounceable symbol and now Prince again, will be the Super Bowl's halftime entertainment. The show should be one to watch, based on recent history.

Last year it was the Rolling Stones and lead singer Mick Jagger who performed at the halftime show. It was quite the thriller. The Stones weren't particularly good, but it was certainly a sight to see — the 62-year-old Jagger attempting to jiggle his cracked-out legs on the center stage, screeching out controversial lyrics to songs such as "Rough Justice."

But last year's Stones spectacle doesn't quite stack up to that of three years ago in terms of pleasurable pathetic-ness. By now, everyone knows about Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake and Super Bowl XXXVIII's "Nipplegate," which set the stage for appalling halftime shows.

Hopefully, Prince will try his best to compare with halftime shows of years past — maybe he'll come out singing "Pussy Control" or something.

Gambling

Not to promote any bad addictions or anything, but if you think this year's Super Bowl is going to be as bad as the Buccaneers' slashing of the Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII, then place some bets — and not just on the game itself.

The Super Bowl has every bet you could possibly think of — who will win the coin toss, who will commit the first penalty, what will the first offensive play be and even what songs Prince will sing at halftime (I have my money on "Raspberry Beret").

Sure, they're all pretty pointless, but at least it'll keep you glued to the television for one reason or another. Plus, you'll probably end up even on the night. That is, if you play your cards right.

The game itself

Come on, it's not going to be that bad.

The Bears have probably been the best team this season, despite the ups and downs of Rex Grossman. Sure, they may not be the most exciting team to watch, but they're the definition of smash-mouth football.

And how can you complain about watching the Colts? Love or hate Peyton Manning, they're fun to watch. And better yet, Manning's just started to heat up. In the AFC Championship, he led Indianapolis to 32 second-half points after two lackluster games in the first two rounds. It's a safe bet that he's due for a big game in the season finale.

Besides, you can't call yourself a sports fan and be upset at watching the Super Bowl.

Michael is a senior double majoring in journalism and communication arts. While he isn't cheering for anyone in particular, he's got his money on the Colts. He can be reached at [email protected]