State ballots turned sports

With the Wisconsin statewide elections finally over with, I can't say I'm ashamed one bit that I didn't vote. Like most sports fans, I couldn't care less about politics.

But what if the candidates were sport icons instead? Then I'd cast a ballot, for sure.

Governor

Running: Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers Party; Barry Alvarez, Wisconsin Badgers Party.

Favre would be the popular choice in the Dairy State, but Alvarez is the educated vote. I mean, the man already has experience running UW athletics and knows what the public (in this case, the sports fan) wants: victories.

In 16 seasons as Wisconsin football's head coach, Alvarez garnered three Rose Bowls and completely turned a crumbling program around, making it what it is today. Even when he hung up his coaching duties after last season, he left Wisconsinites with a qualified replacement in Bret Bielema, who is picking up just where Alvarez left off.

Furthermore, Alvarez can relate to the average Wisconsin resident. Born in the small town of Langeloth, Penn., he had to work his way up the coaching ranks to where he is today, and he knows what it takes to get the job done coming from the bottom.

Favre, on the other hand, hasn't been handling his position of power with great ease the last couple of years. His status among elite Wisconsin athletes has diminished with interception after interception, but he will always have a place in the state's history as a three-time MVP and 1996 Super Bowl winner, and possibly even the NFL's all-time leader in touchdowns if he can manage to pump out 14 more to surpass Dan Marino.

My vote: Alvarez.

Lieutenant Governor

Running: Ned Yost, Milwaukee Brewers Party; Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers Party; Bo Ryan, Wisconsin Badgers Party.

Throw McCarthy out of the picture — he's this ballot's Ralph Nader, except I like Nader just a tad bit more.

Yost isn't a bad choice — he's done a pretty good job of turning the tides for the Brewers in the franchise's new era, but after last season, it looks as though he may have hit his peak.

Obviously Ryan is the clear-cut favorite here.

If anybody has been the face of basketball in the state, it's Ryan. After a quiet 15 years at UW-Platteville in which he won eight Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference championships, Ryan earned the head coaching job at UW-Milwaukee and, soon thereafter, here at UW. Heading into this season, he is just five wins away from 500 career victories.

Ryan already knows how to handle the media, dodging questions by indulging the media with stories that you can't help but laugh with him about.

For example, when asked about the chemistry of the team's guards, Ryan answered, "[A] cookie isn't good if every ingredient that went into it [is just read] off of the paper, the wrapper. I want all the guards to make a sweet cookie that's delicious because of everything that, every ingredient that each one of them puts into it."

Plus, Ryan already has experience working underneath Alvarez, so his duties as lieutenant governor would suit him just fine.

My vote: Ryan.

Attorney General

Running: Ted Thompson, Green Bay Packers party; Doug Melvin, Milwaukee Brewers party; Larry Harris, Milwaukee Bucks party

Thompson's the odd one out of the bunch, not having made any stellar transactions in his two seasons as Packers' general manager so far. As for Melvin and Harris, it's a toss-up. Both have made some great moves, but also some questionable ones (Harris trading away Jamaal Magloire and Melvin shipping away Carlos Lee for little in return). However, it's much more difficult being the general manager of a Major League Baseball team than it is an NBA team, having to manage prospects throughout the minor leagues and dealing with many more players to fill a roster so Melvin should get the edge.

My vote: Melvin.

State Treasurer

Running: A.J. Hawk, Green Bay Packers Party; Dan Gadzuric, Milwaukee Bucks Party; Brian Elliott, Wisconsin Badgers Party.

If Reggie White, the Minister of Defense, was still alive (R.I.P.), he'd be the favorite for treasurer, despite his previous political stumble. But this one's a no-brainer — Elliott, hands down.

Elliott stopped nearly everything that came his way last year, leading the nation in winning percentage (.814), goals-against average (1.55) and save percentage (.938). He also tied the national lead for shutouts with eight, making him the perfect man for treasurer.

My vote: Elliott

NBA Rules Amendment — Should the league replace the leather ball with its new microfiber composite ball?

A fair Association votes "No." What was ever wrong with the leather ball? In the past 35 years, there was never a complaint with it, and nearly everyone will still grow up playing with a leather ball, as it will still be used in high school and college play. If anything, the NBA should bring back the classic red, white and blue ABA balls.

My vote: No