Ryan no tech-savvy coach

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]bo_ryan_bf[/media-credit]The University of Wisconsin men's basketball team will truly begin their season this week as the team will play its season opener Sunday against Mercer, but not before its final exhibition game against Division III Carroll College Wednesday night at the Kohl Center.

The contest should pose a little more of a challenge to Wisconsin's perimeter players in the final tune-up before the year truly begins.

"They've shown the proclivity to be a little better shooting team from the outside," head coach Bo Ryan said at a press conference Monday, comparing the Pioneers to UW-Stout, whom UW played on Friday in the team's first exhibition game. "Better shooters. We'll probably see a little more motion on the perimeter … Carroll will be a little more perimeter-oriented."

Carroll has been successful at the D-III level, going 21-5 (14-2 Midwest Conference) last season and reaching the NCAA tournament. However, Ryan asserts that they are more interested in their own team than the opponent's.

"We're trying to get better ourselves," Ryan said.

Ryan also defended the practice of playing exhibition games against smaller state schools over possibly scrimmaging against other top-tier schools, similar to how Marquette did against Kansas State.

"The whole idea of exhibition games is to get people familiar pretty much with your own court, to get into the feeling of the Kohl Center," Ryan said, before also pointing out that exhibitions are better for the fans. "I just think the game atmosphere is something that is really good for our players. Plus, I think it's good for college basketball that people are seen, that basketball is played where it's open, and scrimmages have to be totally private."

Wisconsin ranked No. 9 in AP

The Badgers were lauded again Monday, as they received their highest Associated Press poll ranking since Dec. 11, 1962, coming in at No. 9 in the AP's preseason vote.

It is the highest preseason ranking UW has ever received and is just the latest praise brought down on a team that has already been ranked ninth in the Coaches' Poll, has been tabbed by many as a conference frontrunner, and has had forward Alando Tucker named Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year.

Still, this latest accolade isn't likely to send Wisconsin players scrambling for their mirrors, as the team has repeatedly downplayed the importance of such preseason honors.

"All that stuff, it's nice, but it's where you are at the end of the year that matters," Tucker said at the Big Ten's annual media day.

Ryan tech savvy

Ryan kept the Wisconsin media room entertained at his weekly press conference when a reporter asked him where he stood on the practice of text messaging recruits.

Ryan made it clear that he is not a big supporter of the medium.

"I'm not a fan of the text messaging," Ryan stated before getting into a comical explanation. "My theory is based on that famous doctor that did the report that text messaging induces or influences obsessive-compulsive behavior. So, medically, I think it should be banned."

Once he was done questioning the health concerns surrounding text messaging, Ryan joked that the Badgers tend to rely on personality to sign recruits to UW.

"We try to get them with our charm and our wit … we've lost a lot of recruits," Ryan joked, before tossing out one more comic line as he was getting up to leave. "I'm gonna go text."