Wisconsin looking to correct road woes

It's no secret that the Wisconsin volleyball team is a different team on the road than they are at home.

After coming off of a successful home weekend where the Badgers beat the previously undefeated No. 2 Penn State as well as No. 24 Ohio State, Wisconsin is looking to carry the momentum from those victories and translate it into success as the team travels to Michigan this weekend.

"[Carrying momentum on the road] is very important," junior setter Jackie Simpson said. "To take great wins that we had the crowd backing us up with and now to go away and we don't have that crowd momentum. We are going to have to use what [we did] this weekend to motivate us."

Since this will be the second time Wisconsin will face Michigan and Michigan State this season, head coach Pete Waite said carrying the momentum over from last weekend will be key if the Badgers are going to notch two more victories in the win column.

"Big Ten play in the second round is even tougher because everybody knows each other a little bit better," Waite said. "Now as we hit the road, we have to take our momentum of the high level of play we play here at home and do the same thing on the opponents' court."

In Friday night's matchup, the Badgers will take on a reeling Michigan team.

After starting out the year 13-0 and being ranked as high as No. 19 in the AVCA Top 25, the Wolverines have struggled since Big Ten play has begun, only going 4-8.

Despite the fact that Michigan has played poorly as of late, the Badgers are not taking the team for granted, as they look to avenge last year's five-game loss in Ann Arbor.

"You never want to repeat something like that again," Waite said. "A close battle like that is something that you don't forget about for a long time. I know that is something that is going to be in the back of our minds. It will be something we play hard for and not let happen again."

Conversely, Wisconsin will face a Michigan State Saturday night that has been on a surge

After beginning Big Ten play with a 2-4 record, including a sweep by the Badgers in Madison, the Spartans have won four of their last six games to move into fifth place.

"They're the kind of team that right now has found their way to the middle of the pack," Waite said. "They are right there, ready to go after some people."

If the Badgers are going to be successful on the road, they are going to not only carry the momentum from last weekend's matches, but also make sure their level of play is the same on the road as it is at home.

"The things we've done well here, we've got to do [on the road]," Waite said. "It's going to be serve-receive, it's going to be tough serving, it's going to be flowing well together as a team. I think it is totally something we can do. I don't think it's a problem.

"They found something in the last weekend at home that was even another notch up from anything they have done all season, and we've been very strong in a number of matches. They are excited about it, and now they have a new fire lit under them to finish strong here the rest of the season."