UW follows ’05 success formula

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]WH-BF[/media-credit]There were many factors in the Wisconsin women's hockey team winning the national championship last season. There was the strong goaltending from Jessie Vetter, Meghan Horras and Christine Dufour. There was the high-octane points-producing trio of Sara Bauer, Jinelle Zaugg and Sharon Cole. And, just as importantly, there was the timely offensive production from the freshmen players like Erika Lawler and Angie Keseley.

That equation is working just as well this season. Goalies Vetter and Dufour have returned and are putting up impressive numbers, while Bauer and Zaugg have returned on the same line as last year. The two of them are first and second in the conference in scoring respectively. And the incoming freshmen are producing nicely, just as the freshmen did last year.

Forward Meghan Duggan leads the pack, as she is second in the conference in points scored by freshmen with six goals and three assists. This past weekend against the Minnesota Gophers, Duggan netted three goals, and was recognized by USCHO.com as the Offensive Player of the Week, while the WCHA named her rookie of the week.

"It's pretty cool," Duggan said. "I got a couple lucky goals … my line helped me out a lot, they're great players and they set me up, I guess."

Duggan and sophomore linemate Lawler have quite a history between them. Both are from Massachusetts and played together and became friends at the Cushing Academy, where they also roomed together. Lawler, who wore No. 7 last year, is wearing No. 17 this season so Duggan could take No. 7.

"Yeah they a plan going on there," Johnson joked.

"But they're good friends, they played at Cushing (Academy) together," Johnson said. "They were a big part of their team there … we're fortunate to have both of them here at Wisconsin. They're not only wonderful players, but they're great kids and they bring [a lot of] energy."

"We were buddies back in high school, and we were roommates for a couple years," Duggan said. "It was great to come (to Wisconsin) and be able to play with Lawler and Keseley, they're two great players. I feel comfortable with [Lawler] … and I feel like we always know where each other is, and the same with [Keseley]. She's a great player, and she and Lawler work really well together."

Keseley led the Badgers' freshmen last year in points with 33 (13 goals, 20 assists). In her sophomore campaign, however, Keseley has been remarkably quiet so far. She has just one point, an assist, in the eight games this season, while Lawler and Duggan have picked up the production of her line.

"[Duggan] is a really confident hockey player," Lawler said. "I think that if she was on any other line, she would be just as successful. She's just a really hard worker, and I think she's a great asset to the team. No matter who she's playing with, she would probably be doing the same exact thing. Just because we're good friends doesn't mean much on the ice."

Lawler gives all the credit to Duggan's effort, while Duggan turns around and gives all the credit back to Lawler and Keseley.

Other freshmen have produced as well. Forward Kyla Sanders has the luxury of playing alongside Zaugg and Bauer, who was named the best player in the nation when she received the Patty Kazmaier Award last March. Sanders has produced four points this season with a pair of goals and a pair of assists.

However, Sanders was quick to give credit for her early success to Bauer and Zaugg.

They're two great players, the two best players I've ever played with," Sanders said. "They've taught me so much already."

"Kyla (Sanders) scored a big goal for us … against Ohio State," Johnson said. "She's got very good skating ability, and she's got good speed. When you play with Sara (Bauer), you just have to get open and play off what [Bauer] does so well. They seem to be working better … so hopefully [Sanders] will get more comfortable with the pace of Division I hockey and all the other things that go into being a college player."

Freshman scoring is rounded out by Ottawa, Ontario native Jasmine Giles, who has recorded a pair of goals. Wisconsin native Emily Kranz has recorded one assist.

And so the cycle continues … bring in good goaltending, bona-fide goal scorers, add some freshman enthusiasm and production to the mix, and you end up with a very dangerous team. And Wisconsin Badgers, rolling with a 20-game unbeaten streak, are dangerous.