Badgers looking for more good returns

Wisconsin's special teams had another up-and-down afternoon against Northwestern, at times making contributions, and at others, detracting from UW's 41-9 victory. What started as an apparent strength for Wisconsin has developed into a looming question mark over the course of the season.

On the plus side, kicker Taylor Mehlhaff has developed into a reliable option for the Badgers, hitting six of eight field goal attempts on the year–including five of his last six tries — and nailing each of his 24 point after attempts as well.

Coming into Saturday, Mehlhaff had only split the uprights on one kick of more than 40 yards. That all changed when the junior connected on 40-yard and 42-yard attempts at Camp Randall Stadium.

"I feel pretty good right now," Mehlhaff said. "I was kind of upset last week at that longer one [a 47-yard miss at Indiana], I feel like I'm at the level now where I should make those."

Mehlhaff has also done his part in pinning opposing offenses deep, knocking five of eight kickoffs into the end zone for touchbacks against NU. Mehlhaff has now sent 21 out of 37 kicks for touchbacks on the season.

"It's easy to kick touchbacks when it's warm out," Mehlhaff said. "I'm feeling more comfortable, and I'm real confident right now."

However, the UW returning game couldn't say the same against Northwestern. Punt returner Zach Hampton fumbled away his second ball of the season, although co-returner Ben Strickland was there to recover. Bielema attributed this latest miscue to Hampton being unable to find the ball in the sun.

"I was very concerned about the sun," Bielema said. "We talked about it during pre-game warm-ups, and lo-and-behold, we're put right in that situation, he lost it right away on that first one."

Hangover game

Wide receiver Paul Hubbard was flying high after Wisconsin's 52-17 win over Indiana Sept. 30. To say the least, the junior crashed and burned against Northwestern.

Just seven days removed from a six-catch, 122-yard performance that was his breakout game of the season, Hubbard didn't fare quite as well in his homecoming against the Wildcats. The junior wide receiver caught three balls for 45 yards, but fumbled twice after a catch, losing both drops to the Northwestern defense.

Worse, Hubbard stumbled off the field after his second lost fumble. On the play, Hubbard juked toward the middle of the field after the catch but dropped the ball on contact. Afterward, a woozy Hubbard failed to make it to the sideline before collapsing to the turf in front of the UW training staff. Hubbard did not return to the game.

Bielema said he was unsure of Hubbard's condition, but confirmed that the wideout was held out for medical reasons for the remainder of the contest.

"I think he was just trying to create some yards," Bielema said. "It looked like he probably got knocked out and just dropped the ball."

Hubbard was on the sideline for the rest of the game but was not available for comment.

After Hubbard's last catch, tight end Travis Beckum carried the load for the Wisconsin passing game. Beckum, who led the Badgers with eight catches and 107 yards, has emerged as a favorite target of UW quarterback John Stocco despite good showings from Hubbard and receiver Luke Swan early in the season. Swan also added an impressive 14-yard touchdown catch, coming down with a lofted Stocco pass in the end zone to give the Badgers a 17-9 halftime lead.

Game Notes

The combined age of Bielema and Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald is 77 years old. By contrast, the combined age of New York Yankees pitcher Randy Johnson and Detroit Tigers pitcher Kenny Rogers, who faced off in Game 3 of the ALDS, is 84 years old … Northwestern won the toss, deferred, then failed to convert an onside attempt as Wisconsin's Sean Lewis hauled in the attempt … the Badgers held the ball for 37:07, leaving the Wildcats with just 22:53 to control the clock.