Worst sports broadcaster

Poppy

Several names come to mind when asked whom the worst sports broadcaster is, but courtesy of YouTube;, only one sticks out.

That man is Ball State University's own sports reporter Brian Collins, better known by his infamous catchphrase, "Boom goes the dynamite."

His sportscast was doomed from the start, as the only thing he was able to spit out was a simple hello.

Maybe it was inexperience, maybe it was nerves or maybe it was teleprompter problems, but whatever it was, it was bad.

From the very first graphic, Collins is unable to construct a complete sentence of any sort, stuttering faster than Porky the Pig trying to say, "That's all folks!"

But that's not the worst of Collins' broadcast, his transitions are just plain awkward: "Oh, no … We're going to move on now."

As if that's not bad enough, then he loses his place and just completely stops talking during the middle of a highlight! I guess silence is better than him trying to complete his first sentence, but you can hear him ruffling through his papers, grumbling like Napoleon Dynamite and finally looking to someone off camera with a frightened look as if he's on the verge of crying.

But at least he was on cue with the footage at this point, because once the Indiana Pacers' highlight comes around, he's done for.

Collins falls way behind the highlight reel and starts to talk extremely fast to catch up. He then clumsily falls silent once again. This is where his catchphrase comes out.

"Later he gets the rebound, passes it to the man, shoots it, and boom goes the dynamite."

So smooth, so cool, it seems as if he might finally be getting on track.

Nope, Collins goes on to mispronounce names and then just finally gives up by giving a simple "yup" for his good-bye to the news anchor.

Worst. Sports Broadcaster. Ever.

McGrath

I need to preface my choice for worst broadcaster with this important note. I am speaking about this person solely as a broadcaster. This man was a great player (Hall of Fame in my book), an even better person and is an inspiration to all.

That being said, Ron Santo is without a doubt the worst sports broadcaster on the face of the planet.

He adds next to nothing to any Cubs radio broadcast and what he does add is usually poorly spoken, way off base and generally just terrible. Santo is to radio broadcasters what Ahmad Carroll is to lock-down cornerbacks.

First off, no one in the radio business has a harder job than Pat Hughes, who basically has to serve as both play-by-play man and color commentator for 95 percent of the game. The other five percent or so he has to put up with hearing Santo either yelling something over his voice (the biggest peeve and cardinal rule of broadcasting is to NEVER talk over each other) like some drunken fan or making some comment that is always ruined by his referring to the Cubs as "we."

While he was a star for the Cubs for quite some time and is now part of their broadcast team, the simple fact is that even if a fan is in the booth, he shouldn't be so bold as to refer to the team as we. Ever.

It is the single most annoying and unprofessional thing a broadcaster can do.

Santo's comments are usually almost incomprehensible, bordering on senile or just elementary. Once, I heard him actually say, "Strike three here would be a strikeout. (pause) And that would be great for us."

I screamed loud enough to cause the car next to me on I-90 look over.

Ron Santo: Great person. Horrific broadcaster.