UW’s Anderson leads Team USA to gold medal

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]anderson_41_Wbb_BF[/media-credit]University of Wisconsin junior Jolene Anderson wants to be a guard when she graduates from college. Not a point guard in the WNBA or a security guard at a department store, but a prison guard.

"I always wanted to find a job I would love doing and being a prison guard is always something I wanted to do since I was a little kid," Anderson said. "I have an aunt and uncle who are currently guards and they love it … That's just something I put as one of my goals, and hopefully I can achieve it."

Anderson achieved another one of her goals in August as she captured her third gold medal while playing for the USA U20 women's basketball team. Team USA defeated Brazil 96-54 in the championship game to win the gold at the 2006 FIBA Championship for Women in Mexico City.

Anderson represented the Big Ten and Wisconsin basketball quite well as the third-leading scorer on the team, averaging 13.3 points per game. Anderson was also third in assists with 1.8 per game and led the team in free-throw shooting.

In the championship game, Anderson was one of six players in double figures, leading the way with 17 points. She also added seven rebounds as Team USA knocked off a previously undefeated Brazilian squad.

"It's just an amazing feeling knowing that you're representing your country and the Big Ten along with Wisconsin. It's really awesome," Anderson said.

UW head coach Lisa Stone, who was an assistant coach on the gold medal-winning USA U19 team five years ago, is extremely proud of her star player and is familiar with the excitement that surrounds international play.

"I am so proud of [Anderson] and when they put the gold medal around your neck, the flag goes up in the air and the national anthem is playing, it's a very moving and touching experience, and Jolene has been able to go through that twice," Stone said. "I think the second time you know what to expect, and you know what it means to be on that medal stand."

Anderson, who is no stranger to playing in front of large crowds thanks to her experiences at the Kohl Center, maintains that playing for one's country is slightly more nerve-racking.

"You know it's different playing for your country because you just want to go out there and represent as best you can," Anderson said. "Playing for UW, you have such great fans in Madison that come and support the team, but playing for USA brings out a little more nerves than playing for the Badgers."

With her gold medal now resting comfortably at home, Anderson will turn her attention to the upcoming season of UW women's basketball. Last year, Anderson was the bright spot on a disappointing Badger team that went 11-18 overall and 5-11 in Big Ten play. Anderson led the Badgers in scoring (17.3) and rebounding (7.0), and against Michigan State she missed a triple-double by two rebounds.

"She is a tremendous talent and she has the ability to play both ends of the floor quite well and we rely on her to play a lot of minutes," Stone said. "Our team will follow her and she has the ability and talent to show this team how to get where we need to be."

This season, Anderson will be supported with more depth at the guard position, which will allow her to play her true position as an off-guard. With Anderson playing the two, Stone envisions a more potent offense that will contend for Big Ten supremacy.

However, one area where Stone would like to see Anderson improve is in her leadership qualities. While she has always led by example on the court, Stone would like to see a more vocal leader emerge this coming season.

"We have been working on her becoming more of a verbal communicator, and she is going to take that on with a full head of steam," Stone said. "I am just really excited about her junior year."