Stocco, Thomas return to form in opener

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]FB_72_BF[/media-credit]CLEVELAND — Since undergoing surgery on his right knee on Aug. 11, John Stocco was declared questionable for Wisconsin's season opener against Bowling Green all the way up until Saturday morning, mere hours before the start of the game.

"He hadn't been full go; he hadn't been able to condition the way that you need to [in order] to play an entire game, and that's what we were worried about," UW head coach Bret Bielema said. "But he responded, put in some positive plays during the course of the game … I really like his leadership and what he brings."

Although Stocco admitted that there was some doubt as to whether he would be able to compete on Saturday, the fifth-year senior benefited from not having to make a lot of big plays in the game. Stocco completed nine of 15 passes for 124 yards and a touchdown to go with an interception.

"We didn't have to throw the ball too many times, but he made the right plays when he had to, and he was a good leader, which is the most important [part]," senior tackle Joe Thomas said.

Stocco attributed his ability to stay tough on the field to adrenaline, saying that the desire to stay in the lineup pushed him to fight off any ill effects from the injury.

"This whole process has been kind of tough," Stocco said. "Any time you sit out of practice, you kind of realize how much you miss it and how much you want to get back out on the field. Fortunately, it really felt good the last couple of days."

1-0 for Bielema, assistants

Before Saturday, Wisconsin's last 118 wins came under the watch of longtime coach Barry Alvarez. But with the Badgers' triumph over Bowling Green, Bret Bielema earned his first-ever win as a head coach.

True to form, Bielema chose to focus on good news about the game rather than bask in the satisfaction of his first career victory.

"It's great because we got out pretty healthy, didn't have any significant injuries," Bielema said. "I know that our coaches learned certain things during the flow of the game, myself included, that will be able to be an advantage for me in the future."

It isn't just Bielema who is new to winning as a Badger coach. This game represented the first victory at Wisconsin for the seven brand-new assistant coaches on the UW sideline as well.

"I can't say enough about the group of coaches that I hired," Bielema said. "I thought during the course of the game they really handled the situations well."

With the win, Bielema's career record of 1-0 matches one of Wisconsin football's staple goals — one win each and every week.

"The best part is the way those kids responded, it's a 1-0 mentality that's got to get us through."

Thomas returns to action

A severe knee injury in the Capital One Bowl wasn't enough to knock Thomas out of action for the start of the 2006 season.

Thomas was back in action as one of only three returning offensive starters for the Badgers and said he was happy with the overall effort of Wisconsin in the win.

"It was a great feeling to be out there with my teammates again. It felt like it was the longest wait I've ever had in the off-season to get back on the field," Thomas said.

Thomas may have been a little rusty, however, as he was called for a 10-yard holding penalty, the only meaningful infraction against Wisconsin.

Bielema said he was pleased to see Thomas helping out the potent running game again, but admitted that the Outland Trophy candidate has a long way yet in his overall improvement.

"I think he'll be the first to admit he's not even close to being as good a football player as he can be this year," Bielema said. "But I know he's confident, and the best thing is Joe Thomas is a responder."

Quick hits

2006 marks the first year in which NCAA coaches may challenge rulings on the field — not just at Big Ten stadiums — and it came back to bite the Badgers right from the start. Senior safety Joe Stellmacher's fumble recovery was overturned as instant replay revealed that Stellmacher's arm went out of bounds before capturing the football. Bielema spoke after the game of "wanting to get the replay thing down" … UW improved to 19-1 in its last 20 night games, dating back to 1995 … The Badgers won the toss, but chose to defer instead of receiving the kickoff. Bielema said he wanted to get his defense, UW's stronger unit, on the field to begin the game … Falcons quarterback Freddie Barnes' 158-yard performance set a Bowling Green record, eclipsing P.J. Pope's 151-yard effort against Memphis in 2004 … Coming into Saturday's game, Bowling Green had compiled an 11-1 record against teams with a first-year head coach.