Brenner offers 20 birthday wishes for sports world

Turned 19 years old yesterday. It's been a long year, with a lot of ups and downs, lot of changes in my life, moving up to Wisconsin and all.

But something pretty cool happened when I woke up on my 19th birthday. A note was left taped to my door, telling me in addition to my one birthday wish each year, I was receiving an additional 19 wishes, representative of my age. Don't ask me why, I just tell it like it is.

Needless to say, I blew it. With 20 wishes, I could have wished for money. I could have wished for a new car. Heck, with 20 wishes, I could have wished for the Lakers cheerleaders and called it a day.

However, being the sports nut I am, I decided to close my eyes and instead wish for the following …

I wish everyone would lay off Barry Bonds a little bit. I understand what he did — excuse me, "allegedly" did — was wrong, but this thing is getting blown out of proportion.

I wish the NFL would let ESPN show "Playmakers" again. I just started watching the DVDs; really, really, really good show.

I wish somebody could explain to me how through 20 games, the Colorado Rockies have scored six more runs on the road than at home — while playing four more games at Coors Field than elsewhere.

I wish Brett Favre a much better season than 2005. I've been one of his harshest critics throughout this entire process of indecision, but I truly hope he gets to erase last year's nightmare before leaving Green Bay.

I wish that Steve Nash takes home the MVP award but Dirk Nowitski gets more votes than people expect. He deserves a lot more respect than he receives.

I wish baseball begins to look more like basketball when it comes to team salaries … the pathetic New York Knicks had the NBA's largest payout to its players, whereas teams like the Pistons, Spurs, and Suns all dwelled in the bottom half of the league in the same category.

I wish that whole Duke lacrosse story would go away. I thought it had ended, like, a month ago. I thought wrong.

I wish John Stocco lives in an airtight, slash-free, bulletproof bubble when he's not at Camp Randall. The Badgers are screwed if he goes down.

I wish that pro tennis benefits from the new instant replay system. We won't see it at any Grand Slam until the U.S. Open, but that sport is desperate for viewership without any convincing American men or women.

I wish people would quit knocking the NBA. Same for the NHL. Any sports fan who hates two out of four major sports leagues is not a sports fan.

I wish my luck would change for fantasy baseball. First year ever doing it, and I'm in last place in both leagues. Ouch.

I wish Rick Reilly never stops writing for Sports Illustrated.

I wish the Nuggets turn it around. Not likely. They're a train wreck right now.

I wish they change the speed limit in Nebraska to 160 mph, so I can try to understand what the big deal is with NASCAR. And so I can get from Madison to Denver in about three hours.

I wish Bret Bielema a successful first season. Hard to say about his ability as a head coach just yet, but he's one of the nicest guys I've met in sports.

I wish that LenDale White goes to a team that could really use him to the best of his abilities. Personally, I think he'd look great in his hometown, donning orange and blue.

I wish ESPN comes to its freaking senses and takes the NHL back. It's not quite the same watching hockey on the channel that wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Lance Armstrong.

I wish Wisconsin and Colorado meet once more in the Alamo Bowl this December. Not that I've got a thing for Texas, but I'd really like to witness the Badgers play the Buffs firsthand, and that's about the only way it's gonna happen.

I wish the NFL cleans up that referee problem. I'm still bothered by how the Steelers were extraordinarily screwed and dominantly favored — all in the same postseason.

Oh, what the hell. I'll wish for one Lakers cheerleader, too.

Only 729 days until Aaron's 21st birthday. Score it. You can direct comments concerning Aaron's articles to [email protected].