UW looking to end season on high note

Having now dropped eleven of its last twelve matches, the Wisconsin women's tennis team will take to the road in search of a dignified finish to a disappointing season, this weekend.

Saturday the Badgers will venture to West Lafayette, Ind., for a dual meet with Purdue before traveling west to Urbana, Ill., to take on the Fighting Illini Sunday.

"I think that Purdue and Illinois will be really good. I'm excited for it," sophomore Chelsea Nusslock said. "Everyone has improved so much… if we compete hard, I think we have enough talent."

In Purdue, the Badgers find an opponent that has won four of its last six matches, including a 5-2 victory over a Michigan State squad that handled Wisconsin by the same score just two weeks prior.

Conversely, the Illini have hit a skid of late, posting disappointing results throughout the spring frame.

"I think Illinois — they're having an off-season… the chance is there," said team ace Caitlin Burke.

"I think we have a great opportunity," added sophomore Morgan Tuttle. "Illinois has an injured player and Purdue lost their number one player."

The Badgers, however, may be forced to cope without Burke this weekend, as the junior standout continues to fight a rib injury sustained during play against Notre Dame February 26.

"Right now, I'm going toward [not playing] — I just started practicing," Burke said. "It still hurts on my backhand, so I'm a little iffy there."

Meanwhile, Tuttle looks to extend to four a team-leading win streak that dates back to April 2. Last weekend, Tuttle — who transferred to UW from Iowa this year — claimed the Badgers' sole victory over the Hawkeyes in a match replete with emotional impact.

"It was amazing," Tuttle said of offing her Hawkeye opponent 6-0, 6-0. "It definitely gives me a lot more confidence, just knowing that match is out of the way."

This weekend's road trip will mark the final regular season venture outside of Madison for a Badger squad that has become accustomed to living out of hotel rooms this spring. Only two conference opponents have played on Wisconsin's home courts this season, though Ohio State is slated to make the trip next week.

"I traveled all throughout juniors… I'm used to it," Nusslock said. She summarized the experience as "managing our time well on the bus, getting our studying done, [and] having some good meals."