Baseball, Bonds on steroids; shocking

What a shock.

Baseball is back, and so is the steroid debate. Even more shocking was watching ESPN2's reality show "Bonds on Bonds." The show itself wasn't a shock, but the fact that it even aired is.

Is there really nothing else happening in the sports world between 7-8 p.m.?

Seriously. What's next? "The TO Reality Show"?

It might not be a bad idea. After all, I'm predicting TO's introduction on Opening Day will be filled with just as many boos as Bonds received Monday. We'll need the popcorn to go with such a spectacle.

But the show "Bonds on Bonds" is just plain appalling. And how much more attention can this guy get?

He dresses as a woman, it makes headlines.

Someone throws a syringe at him, it's breaking news.

The book "Game of Shadows" hits stands, it takes over Sports Illustrated.

But now ESPN2 has devoted 10 episodes, 10 hours of nothing but Bonds. Good grief.

Is it just me, or is Bonds becoming a little, uh, dreary?

It seems as if the entire country has focused its attention on Bonds. Or maybe it is just the media. But regardless, watching him cry on television is not the same entertainment as watching Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire slam homers back in the day.

Oh, wait, that was false entertainment as well.

It seems that pro sports today are just bland, boring and tainted. George Mason's run to the Final Four was sweet, the UW men's hockey team making it to the Frozen Four was downright thrilling and watching the women's hockey team claim its first NCAA throne was breathtaking.

Why are college sports so exhilarating? They are natural. College athletics are based on pure natural ability. No money, no drugs — just teamwork. It's the way sports should be.

Sure, not all college sports are as watchable as professional sports, but the whole idea that the game is pure is simply satisfying.

There are no rules about touchdown celebrations because in college, there are none, though we all would have laughed if Brandon Williams busted out a Sharpie and autographed one of the shirtless crazies in the front row of Camp Randall.

Thirty percent of players aren't traded — or don't transfer — in college. Which gives college faithful a guaranteed four years to root on a favorite.

And as far as I'm concerned, steroids are kept out of college athletics. Sure, there are a couple tricksters that try to cheat the system. But trust me, they get caught.

But for steroids in professional sports, it is just another exaggeration of their attempt to be the best and keep fans entertained. Naturally, ESPN2 aids the process by letting Bonds be Bonds once a week for millions.

And why should we care?

'Roids are not going to go away. Like it or not — like Bonds — they are here to stay.

I personally hate steroids and have a strong dislike for anyone who takes them. But since athletes do enough crazy things to their bodies otherwise, what's the difference?

The fairest thing to do in any case would be to allow steroids. After all, then nobody would be cheating, right? And Bud Selig might sleep more soundly.

But that idea is as ridiculous as it sounds.

So where has professional sports gone?

I remember being a little girl and having my dad take me to Oakland A's games so I could cheer on Jose Canseco, Rickey Henderson and Mark McGwire. Watching Canseco was my pastime, along with watching baseball.

Flash forward a couple years and Canseco is nothing but a reality-show joker. It's a shame because growing up and watching him play while sitting next to my dad is my favorite childhood memory.

Now kids go to ballparks and watch drunks throw syringes at Bonds.

I don't know which is more disgusting — watching that scene take place or watching Bonds, period.

If Bonds would have stayed small and McGwire and Sosa would have only hit 59, baseball might be what it used to be — great memories.

Now it is nothing but a tainted sport of drama.

Shocking.

For comments, hit Shannon up at [email protected].