Bauer wins Kazmaier Award for nation’s best player

Sara Bauer does not like attention. In fact, she hates it.

Unfortunately for her, there was nowhere to hide Saturday as she was the recipient of the ninth-annual Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award, given to the most outstanding player in collegiate women's hockey.

Selection criteria for the award include outstanding individual and team skills, sportsmanship, performance in the clutch, personal character, competitiveness and a love of hockey.

"I am truly honored to receive this award," Bauer said in her award speech. "Any individual award is a reflection of my teammates and coaches because without them I wouldn't be standing here, and I'm so honored to be named with all the other great nominees and Patty Kazmaier and what she represents."

Bauer was chosen from a group of three finalists that included sophomore forward Sabrina Harbec of St. Lawrence and junior goaltender Riitta Schaublin from Minnesota Duluth. Bauer's teammate, Bobbi Jo Slusar, was among the top 10 finalists and was the only defender in the field.

Presented annually since 1998, the award is named in honor of the late Patty Kazmaier. Kazmaier passed away in 1990 at the age of 28 and she was a four-year varsity hockey letter-winner and three-time Ivy League champion with the Princeton Tigers.

Bauer, who is the first Badger to ever win the award, adds this prestigious accolade to a mantle that already includes the WCHA and USCHO player of the year trophies along with the WCHA tournament MVP.

Bauer shined in the WCHA playoffs, as she recorded two goals and nine assists while helping the Badgers secure the conference crown. She recorded three helpers in the championship game against Minnesota.

This season, Bauer has been nothing short of amazing, leading the No. 2-ranked Badgers (36-4-1) to their best regular season in the program's history and a national championship. Along the way Bauer has accumulated 57 points, good enough for fourth in the nation, while leading the team in points, assists and plus-minus rating.

"This has been a dream season for me, and I've taken on a bigger role each year I've been here, and the coaches have really given me the opportunity to grow as a player on and off the ice," Bauer said.

Her superlatives this season have moved her closer to the top of Wisconsin's all-time offensive charts. Before the national tournament, she ranked third in team history with 56 career goals. She is just four assists shy of the school record of 93 assists, and currently, she ranks third on UW's all-time list with 144 points.

When not on the ice, the St. Catharines, Ontario, native takes time to visit the Ronald McDonald house and helps local kids participate in wheelchair hockey.

Whether Bauer likes it or not, she has quickly emerged as the face of UW women's hockey, and her team and individual success have given her attention on the national stage. As for the possibility of becoming the first two-time recipient of the award:

"I don't know," Bauer said with a smile, "but we shall see."