UW awaits first Frozen Four appearance

[media-credit name=’YANA PASKOVA/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]bauer_yp[/media-credit]Program high of 34 wins: check. WCHA regular-season championship: check. WCHA postseason championship: check. First Frozen Four appearance in school history: check.

With only one trophy left up for grabs — the NCAA title — the 2005-06 Wisconsin women's hockey team (34-4-1) began their final week of practice in preparation for their final two games and a chance to win it all.

"Do or die." That was the message UW head coach Mark Johnson conveyed to his team Wednesday as the Badgers readied for their first Frozen Four appearance in the program's history.

Friday the Badgers will face off against the No. 3-ranked St. Lawrence Saints (31-4-2) for the right to compete in Sunday's national championship game. St. Lawrence plays in the talented ECACHL conference, where they played against perennial powerhouses such as Harvard and Princeton.

Like most eastern teams, the Saints bring strength and physicality to the forefront. On defense, the Saints are led by two sophomore defenders in Annie Guay and Kerri Wallace. Together the two have combined for 55 points and a plus-59 rating while leading a defense that allows a miniscule 1.3 goals per game.

"I've played against some of the girls on St. Lawrence and they’re very strong on defense, but I think our team has way more depth than them," junior defender Bobbi Jo Slusar said. "I know they have big, strong players, but with our speed, we will be ready to go."

Depth is one area where the Badgers have been unmatched by their opponents this year. With three capable lines on both offense and defense, the Badgers have thrived in late game situations by outlasting their opponents.

Also favoring the Badgers this weekend is the massive ice surface they will play on at Mariucci Arena. The Badgers are used to playing on the large Kohl Center ice sheet compared to their opponent, St. Lawrence, who plays in the cozy confines of Appleton Arena.

"Its going to be challenge for all four teams because the ice surface there is even bigger than the Kohl Center, so we want to create and use the space to our advantage because we have some skilled players when there in open space," Johnson said. "We have depth, speed and a group that moves the puck well, and through that we’ll create opportunities and have good puck possession in our offensive zone."

This season, both Wisconsin and St. Lawrence have relied heavily on their prolific offensive attacks. Both teams are averaging four goals per game and have scored nearly identical totals along the way. On offense, USCHO and WCHA Player of the Year Sara Bauer leads the Badgers. Bauer, who has 57 points on the year, is one of three finalists for the coveted Patty Kazmaier Trophy that is awarded to the best female player in the nation. The Saints counter with a finalist of their own in Sabrina Harbec, who has 61 points on the year.

"At this point, there are only four teams left, and you got two very talented squads with a lot of talented players, and when you get to this point of the year, you need your best players to be your best players in order to be successful," Johnson said.

Like any playoff scenario, goaltending will be the X-factor for the Badgers, who enter the weekend with options at the position. As of late, senior Meghan Horras and freshman Jessie Vetter have competed vigorously for the starting job. Together they boast 1.24 goals against average.

Johnson maintains he has not yet made his choice on who will start Friday, but he plans to make that decision today.

"A lot of different things go into the decision," he explained. "Agility, athletics, who the team is most comfortable with, how many shots you anticipate, and then it all comes down to a gut feel. Your decision gets analyzed for 60 minutes and at the end of the day it either works or doesn't work."

St. Lawrence also has two qualified goaltenders of their own in Jessica Moffat and Meaghan Guckian who have a combined a 1.28 GAA.

In terms of offense, defense and goaltending, these two teams are mirror images of each other and according to Johnson it will all come down to execution.

"Any coach will tell you when you get in these situations it all about executing for 60 minutes and if we do that, then we get to play one more game, and if you don't, you're going home," he said.