Badgers host Huskies to open postseason

[media-credit name=’MEGHAN CONLIN/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]burish[/media-credit]It's been another wild, yet unsuccessful year for Michigan Tech's men's hockey program. Yes, the Huskies were able to pull off just six conference victories, but one of those was over the Badgers. And with the addition of six ties to their record, they took at least one point in seven of their last eight series to end the year.

Tech triumphed over UW back in December, snapping a 14-game win-streak that saw Wisconsin outscore its opponents 22-9.

Now, the No. 8-seeded Huskies will venture back to Madison to once again challenge the No. 3-seeded Badgers in the first round of the WCHA playoffs this weekend.

"[We] are looking at it as revenge," goaltender Brian Elliott said. "They took some points from us that were key at the beginning of the season. We just want to bury them as much as we can."

With redemption on their mind, the Badgers will be fully prepared against the devious Huskies.

"You can't take them lightly," Elliott explained. "We know what we can do against them, and we also know what they can do to us … [You] can't take anything for granted."

"They play hard. They're dirty," senior Adam Burish added. "When the ref is not looking, they are going to whack you in the back of the legs. They are going to try and get you in the game where they are slugging in front of the nets and make you sit in the book the whole game by them playing a tricky style."

Michigan Tech will be entering postseason play riding a winless wave. Despite their aforementioned point steak, the last Tech victory came over a month ago against Minnesota State.

Wisconsin, on the other hand, is coming off a successful finish to their roller coaster second-half of the season by sweeping St. Cloud State in its final season series.

The St. Cloud sweep gave Wisconsin 17 victories on the season, the most under fourth-year head coach Mike Eaves.

Now, the Badgers are prepared and excited to maintain the momentum in front of a home crowd.

"Playing at the Kohl Center we feel is the best atmosphere in college hockey," Elliott said. "If one of our guys makes a big hit, the crowd goes nuts, and we feed off that energy. You can't replace that."

"Every time we come out on the ice and see the student section acting crazy, it is always exciting for our guys," Burish added. "You can feel it on the bench, and you can feel it when the student section gets going and the fans are standing and clapping after a good shift or power play. It is something the guys get excited about, and obviously, being at home is a huge advantage."

With Badger faithful behind their home team, Wisconsin will be at the advantage. However, UW will be missing a pair of players, as sophomore Joe Piskula and Andrew Jourdey are out with injuries and are not expected to play.