After buying into Eaves’ message as rookies, special senior class can skate away knowing they turned

Every senior class that comes through Wisconsin's men's hockey program wants to put its stamp on history. But while this year's group could still leave its final mark with a national championship to end their careers, they have already etched their place in the history books — and they did it three years ago when they were just freshmen.

Sure, every group of seniors has the moments they will remember. This one will remember three-straight trips to the NCAA tournament, and more specifically, Nick Licari might remember being tied up with a Minnesota State player in December 2003 when the Kohl Center lights went out during the third period.

And every class has the games it will never forget — a thrilling overtime win against North Dakota their sophomore year, a game at Lambeau Field and sweeping Minnesota, North Dakota and Colorado College — all on the road — early in their senior year.

And there are those they wish they could forget. For this crew, an embarrassing loss to Michigan in the first round of last year's NCAA tournament and being brutally outplayed last weekend at Minnesota State.

But for defenseman Tom Gilbert and forwards Adam Burish, Ryan MacMurchy, A.J. Degenhardt and Licari, their four years have been about much more than specific games and moments.

Most people know of the story of Bear Bryant's "Junction Boys" from the book or movie. It's the story that chronicles a Texas A&M football team enduring a hellish training camp only to become a championship team.

Though they could put the icing on the cake with a championship at the end of this year, the Badgers' senior class already all too closely resembles that plotline. And that's why UW head coach Mike Eaves isn't shy about calling them his "Junction Boys."

"We felt that way," Burish said. "There would be times when we'd come back to the dorms together, and somebody would turn the shower on and say 'if I don't come out just leave me drowned in there, just joking around because you're so sore. It was wild.'"

"I remember Eaves came to the locker room and said 'I'm going to demand perfection out here, and if you miss a pass or miss the net, you're going to do it again,'" Burish said. "Whoever completes a pass perfectly every drill and especially that year when it was such a mess out there. Guys were just kind of losing it, but he demanded we do it the proper way."

This year's seniors were mere freshmen when Eaves took the reins in 2002. It's safe to say they had no idea what they were getting themselves into.

"I could write a book about it," Licari said.

What they were getting themselves into was a firestorm of pain and trials and tribulations due to a rigorous training schedule and general rockiness that is characteristic of a team under a first-year head coach.

"One thing that really sticks out was the five-mile run," Licari said, trying to pinpoint one of the hardest times of his freshman year. "It was like 95 degrees on an August afternoon, and we just ran around the track, 20 laps. Hockey players aren't supposed to run like that."

But the five roommates bought into the program. They went to work every day planning to work harder than the veterans.

"We didn't know anything else. When they said get up at 6 o'clock and wrestle on the astro-turf and try to pin a guy, sure, we're going to do it," Burish said. "When they said go run five miles, we're freshmen, we're going to do what we have to do to get in the lineup."

And it paid off in the form of playing time — MacMurchy, Licari, Gilbert and Degenhardt combined to miss just six games.

They continued to work despite a season that saw tension in the locker room, a situation off the ice involving Eaves and former Badger Alex Leavitt, and a win-loss record that made fans cringe. They were just 13-23-4 in that first year.

"You could say it was the season from hell," Burish said. "Every weekend we lost it felt like — you're hanging your head, you're embarrassed. We're up twice a week at 6 a.m. doing ridiculous workouts."

They even lost three of their fellow classmates as Joey McElroy, Brent Gibson and Tom Sawatske chose to go their separate ways over the coming years.

But the five current seniors never threw in the towel.

"They survived … they stayed with it. They bought in, and they carried the torch," Eaves said. "Look at them now. They're a big reason we are where we are. They are truly the Junction Boys of the University of Wisconsin."

"It was tough, and there were days when you didn't want to come to the rink," Licari said. "You were sore, and you were like 'Why am I doing this?'"

But it was the dedication and open-mindedness of the five to stick with a schedule that beat them up physically, mentally and emotionally that paid off in the long run for the Wisconsin program.

The Badgers are 66-36-15 in the three years since that dreadful first season, have made runs to the top ranking nationally in each of the past two seasons and set the record this year for most sellouts in a season at the Kohl Center.

"[Freshman year] was a character building year," MacMurchy said. "[Now] it's very satisfying. Our class helped turn it around and get through that transition period. All we care about is the program at Wisconsin, so getting that in the right direction now is a big thing for us."

Though they are not Eaves' recruits officially, they basically have become his over the last four years.

They will be able to take a special meaning into this weekend's senior festivities because they are the first class that has played for four years under Eaves.

And like the team that they led this year, the five have become more than just best friends — they are like family.

"Us five seniors have pretty much spent every day together for the last four years," MacMurchy said. "We're pretty much brothers now. It's crazy to think it's almost done. We're going to be lifelong friends together, and that's what it's all about."

This weekend, the close-knit group of five will take to the Kohl Center ice against St. Cloud State for their last regular season series knowing they can say they were a big part of turning the program around.

But they are still focused on a time, a little more than a month from now, when they are hoping to put their final major stamp on their class with a national championship in Milwaukee.