USA in Winter Blunderland

Wow. Let me just say amen to the fact that the Olympics aren't a yearly event — especially the winter version.

The Games in Turin have mostly been a disaster for the United States thus far, leaving this reporter waiting for them to be over and done with. Let me just run through the laundry list of debacles the U.S. has suffered through, and let me know if I miss anything.

These days, all the talk seems to start with the U.S. ski team, so I'll do the same. The "Best Team in the World" has found a way to look worse than the New York Knicks.

And the team's outspoken "leader" Bode Miller, who is 0-for-5 in his attempts to make the medal stand, has looked ridiculous.

I mean, who does Miller think he is, Nate Robinson? Unfortunately, the Olympics are not the NBA's Slam Dunk Competition, and he does not get 14 tries to have the best run and take home the gold medal.

The American women's hockey team suffered the worst upset loss in the history of women's hockey when it fell to Sweden. Not only did it have to settle for a bronze medal, its second back step in as many Winter Olympics, but Olympic viewers had to suffer through a gold medal matchup between Sweden and Canada that was pretty much over when it started.

We weren't looking for another Miracle here … we were just hoping that one American team would live up to its billing.

The U.S. men's team still has a chance to prove itself, despite looking silly in the pool portion of play. Somehow, despite just one victory in five games, they will limp into the quarterfinals.

We'll see what happens there, but it hasn't looked good to this point, and considering they will go up against a Finland team that has barely surrendered a goal thus far, things are not looking any brighter. But hey, there's nowhere to go but up, right?

Even when there is success, there is failure. The Americans have faired well in the speed skating department, only to suffer through inner team turmoil.

Chad Hedrick won the United States' first medal of the Games and Shani Davis became the first black athlete to win an individual gold medal in the Winter Olympics, yet together they found a way to tarnish their accomplishments.

When Davis opted to skip out on the team relay event, Hedrick called him out. Yada, yada, yada, no medal in that event, no gold for the Americans in the 1500-meter race last night as the saga continued. Instead of remembering that the two have graced the medal stand, we remember the fact that they have both put themselves up on their own pedestals.

If I want to watch a catfight, I'll turn on some "Laguna Beach" reruns or "The Bachelor: The Women Tell All" episode. Then again … I do love a good catfight, just not between a couple of U.S. male speed skaters. Get over it.

In ice dancing, Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto garnered a silver medal, but with the slew of unexpected falls crashing the hopes of many of the leading pairs, it was hard to decide just how to feel about the second-place finish. But, considering it's been mostly negative aspects during the Games, I congratulate the pair on their silver.

And snowboarding, which has turned out to be the best American event, is just as hard to measure up considering I still can't decide if it should even be an Olympic event.

The star of the show early on was Shaun White — though most people know him as the Flying Tomato. It's just hard to take that seriously. Last time I checked, surfing is not a part of the Summer Games.

And if listening to Tucker Carlson talk about the Olympics Monday wasn't bad enough, his interview with none other than the Tomato made me want to toss my TV out of my third-story window onto the shores of Lake Mendota.

Let's just say, despite White's crack at Carlson by wearing a bow tie, I've had better interviews with a mighty-mite hockey-playing five-year-old kid.

And on the women's side, while the U.S. won silver and gold on the half pipe, Lindsey Jacobellis etched her name in the history books in the snow cross event, and not in a good way. With a sizeable lead, she decided to grab her board while flying over the final jump, only to come back to earth, literally, when she crashed upon landing.

No, there really hasn't been a lot for the U.S. to brag about in Torino, though I'm really looking forward to seeing what the men's curling team can do now that it has reached the medal portion of play.

The team has been one of very few feel-good stories and has helped me become further intrigued by the sport itself.

I would encourage everyone to watch today's rematch between the Americans and Canadians — Canada beat the U.S. Monday to gain entrance into the playoff round, but the U.S. had already clinched its spot.

And with Sasha Cohen setting herself up for gold in the premier event of the Winter Olympics, maybe the Americans will end things on a good note.

We can only hope.