Junior mid-distance swimmer encourages teammates with smile

[media-credit name=’MEGHAN CONLIN/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]weisner_MC_416[/media-credit]Try to give junior Andrea Wiesner a hard practice and she'll laugh in your face — literally. The short and bubbly member of the Wisconsin swim team is always laughing, even through a rough practice.

"She always has a positive attitude throughout practice," teammate Amalia Sarnecki said. "Having someone around who is light-hearted and entertains makes it easier to be there. … She is just so much fun to have as a teammate. Honestly, the best person ever. I am really grateful to have Andrea as a training partner and as a friend."

Even though Wiesner always has a smile on her face, not everything is fun and games.

This Montrose, Colo. native takes swimming seriously and she has the finish times to back it up. Going into the Big Ten Championships on Wednesday, Wiesner will enter the meet ranked second nationally in the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 4:14.25.

Wiesner swam that time at the Texas Invitational last December, a swim she considers the highlight of her season.

Wiesner also ranks fourth in the nation in the 200-yard individual medley and 37th in the 200-yard backstroke.

Her times have already qualified her for the NCAA Championships in March. It will be her second showing at the meet.

"I think it's awesome," her older brother and former teammate Eric Wiesner said of her qualifying for nationals. "I'm very proud and impressed with her. I think she deserves it. She is a very humble person who works hard and is not conceited. … She is also very smart and fun to hang out with."

Wiesner has been swimming with her brother since she was little and it was only fitting that she follow in his footsteps when deciding on a college.

"I enjoy having her here," Eric said. "Me being here helped her in transition between high school and college. She enjoys it here and doesn't regret her decision at all."

In high school, Wiesner also enjoyed some success in the water. She won six state titles and was named Colorado 4A Swimmer of the Year during her senior year.

"I'm pretty proud of my accomplishments in high school, I guess," Wiesner said humbly.

Her high school successes attracted the attention of the Wisconsin coaches and again with a smile, Wiesner committed to UW before taking an official trip here.

"I had been familiar with the school, I really liked Madison, I liked the team and the coaches are great," Wiesner said.

Wiesner's impact on the team was immediate and not just in the pool. Wiesner boosts one of the highest GPAs on the team and her academic achievements have helped the women's swimming team to the highest GPA in the athletic department.

"I think she is [a] silent leader," her brother said. "She is just a really smart girl and works really hard for it. Holding a high GPA and swimming at the level that she does is impressive."

Now, following in her footsteps, the last member of the Wiesner family, younger brother Steven, has recently committed to UW.

When asked about his brother committing, Eric simply said, "I don't even know. I honestly think it's weird."

Added Sarnecki, "I think they should move to Wisconsin so they could pay in-state tuition."