UW awaits Frozen Tundra Hockey Classic

[media-credit name=’MEGHAN CONLIN/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]mhockey_416[/media-credit]"We'll see when we get there," became the phrase of the week for the Wisconsin men's hockey team as they prepared for its first-ever outdoor game on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field. The aptly named Frozen Tundra Hockey Classic pits non-conference foes Wisconsin (19-7-2, 14-6-2 WCHA) and Ohio State (14-12-4, 10-10-2 CCHA) against each other for a single game Saturday afternoon.

"It's one of those things where, when you get there, you take it all in, see what you have to work on, and see what you have to adapt to," forward Robbie Earl said. "That's why we're going up there two days early."

Head coach Mike Eaves found many of the media's questions this week hard to answer because he had yet to actually practice out in the cold and experience the conditions first hand. That uncertainty is the main reason the team left Thursday to get some ice time at Lambeau in order to better adapt to the elements and prepare for Saturday's match.

An obvious novelty, an outdoor college hockey game should get some buzz around the country. The last time two college hockey teams faced off in an outdoor stadium was 2001, when Michigan and Michigan State battled in the "Cold War" game at Spartan Stadium. The NHL gave outdoor hockey a shot recently when it pitted the Edmonton Oilers against the Montreal Canadians against each other in subzero temperatures in 2003.

Wisconsin will have to face some hairy elements this weekend, as the current forecasts show scattered snow flurries with temperatures in the mid-20's and wind gusts up to 11 miles per hour Saturday afternoon. The team will prepare for the conditions with extra clothing underneath its uniforms that keeps in heat while allowing sweat to escape.

"I think our equipment manager has got some long-sleeve Under Armour-type stuff," forward Nick Licari said. "I'm not really sure what it is, but I think he's got a little something for us."

Despite the conditions, the opportunity to play outside is something many on the team will relish. All the Badgers have had opportunities to play outside in their careers, and they look forward to embracing childhood memories of skating on rinks that had snow banks for boards and garbage cans for goals.

"It's a whole different atmosphere, a whole different experience," Earl said of skating outside once again. "A lot of us skated outside when we were little. It'll bring back memories and create new ones."

The cold weather should affect the game plan for the Badgers only slightly. Eaves said he won't be able to know until he's out there how his players will react to the environment, but he will be wary of long shifts on the ice for any of his players.

"When you first get outside, it's tough to breathe in the colder air," Eaves said. "As the game goes on, the players may adapt to that."

Some players are even looking forward to the cold air as a release from playing in a heated arena.

"As far as playing at the Kohl Center, it's warm," Licari said of playing at home. "It'll be nice to actually play in a little bit cooler of a temperature, where your body kind of has to work a little bit to heat up."

While players scorn the weather and look forward to the outdoor experience, frigid temperatures haven't scared away fans either. So far, more than 37,000 tickets to the Frozen Tundra Hockey Classic have been sold, still well short of the record 74,554 fans in attendance for the aforementioned "Cold War" game, but an excellent turnout nonetheless for a team used to playing before an audience of around 14,000 fans.

Fans in attendance should also see a good game. The Buckeyes come into the game off a split with a tough Michigan team last weekend in Ann Arbor while the Badgers recently split with the struggling UMD Bulldogs. Wisconsin is 9-0-0 against Ohio State in the history of the series, but the Badgers have been reeling of late due in large part to the loss of Hobey Baker candidate Brian Elliott in goal.

Ohio State lacks the big time scorer that the Badgers have in forwards Earl and Joe Pavelski, but they have looked to sophomore Tom Fritsche and his 25 points for some offense. They have seen some outstanding play from goaltender Dave Caruso as well. The senior has stopped 92.5 percent of his shots and has a goals against average of 1.79, good for sixth in the country.

The Badgers' numbers have slipped some in their recent skid, but they continue to be effective on defense, holding teams to 1.81 goals per game.

"It's a big game for us as far as rankings are concerned," Licari said of the matchup. "It's still important for us to win, but I think a lot of us are looking forward to embracing the moment and being a part of history."

Included in that history will be the Stanley Cup and the Green Bay Packers' three Lombardi trophies, which will be on display at Lambeau Field throughout the weekend.

Whatever the historic implications, the Badgers are intent on winning this game and getting back on track before they head back into WCHA play next weekend. Players and coaches will not only have to beat the Buckeyes, but the elements as well.

"This is very unique," Eaves said of the outdoor atmosphere. "There's going to be two teams consisting of about a party of 40 that are going to be infinitely involved in this, on the ice and being a part of it, and that's very special."