Wisconsin sweeps Northern Illinois

Three hundred fifty-eight days after Dora Delgadillo dropped a controversial match to Nicole Beck in the No. 5 singles bracket, she returned to the Nielsen Tennis Stadium Saturday.

But this time things would be different. The Northern Illinois tennis player wouldn't be accused of changing the score mid-match. Beck would be on the sidelines for medical reasons. And Delgadillo, having moved all the way up to the top singles game, would fall even harder.

This time her loss came at the hands of No. 32-ranked Caitlin Burke, who dominated her Husky opponent in a 6-0, 6-0 victory that scarcely saw Delgadillo win a point. And such would prove the theme of the day, as the No. 34 Badgers dropped only one out of 17 games on the doubles court and nine out of 69 on the singles court.

"I think what I was most pleased with today was our ability — and it was a challenge — to stay focused throughout every match they played," head coach Patti Henderson said. "And to be able to stay on top of your opponent. … We were the better players on the court and sometimes you can have a tendency to drop your level. And I felt like we didn't do that."

The outlook for Northern Illinois was grim before the match even started, as the team showed up in Madison with only five players, forcing the Huskies to forfeit a doubles match and the No. 6 singles bracket before the squad ever even suited up.

"The biggest disappointment — and obviously it hurt them more than it hurt us — was Northern Illinois being shorthanded, which was unfortunate because we didn't get to have everyone play, both in doubles and in singles," Henderson said. "So that was unfortunate."

But Morgan Tuttle, the lone sophomore transfer, and her two freshmen teammates did see playing time as Henderson consciously sought to give them experience on Wisconsin's home court. And while Tuttle, paired with Kaylan Caiati, dropped her first game on the doubles court, the duo rallied to win the next eight straight, defeating Lilian Asuaje and Jenny Edner.

Meanwhile, Erin Jobe and Liz Carpenter, the Badgers' two freshmen, each claimed convincing wins on the singles side, shutting out their opponents in the second set with 6-2, 6-0 and 6-1, 6-0 victories over Chrissy Nagel and Megan Brooks, respectively.

"I just stepped up … I felt like all of the experience is kind of catching up and I don't feel as nervous anymore … and we're at home. I feel comfortable," Carpenter said. "I just felt like that was in my comfort zone. … I went out and did my thing and did it fast."

Meanwhile, on the top court, Burke manhandled Delgadillo with a 6-0, 6-0 victory that clocked in as the day's shortest match.

"It's our first home match, so we're all really to excited to play," Burke said. "We really wanted to make sure we came out strong."

Brooks was the only other Husky to return to Madison, having been shut out by Chelsea Nusslock in straight sets last year. This time around, Nusslock would make quick work of Asuaje, winning 6-1, 6-1.

"It felt really good just getting the first home match out of the way. And I think we all did pretty well. It's hard to adjust," Nusslock said. "I don't think I played too well, but I think overall I'm just glad to get the first home match win out of the way."