Badgers look different this year

Two years ago, the Wisconsin men's hockey team was 12-4-4 after splitting in the Badger Hockey Showdown. A year ago, the Badgers were 13-6-1 at the same point in the season.

Both seasons were characterized by very good starts, especially in the 2003-04 season, when the Badgers were coming off a miserable season under first-year head coach Mike Eaves.

But both years also saw UW stumble down the stretch, failing to capture the MacNaughton Cup, Broadmoor Trophy or an NCAA Frozen Four berth.

Two years ago, Wisconsin went 8-6-4 in the second half of the season and lost to Alaska-Anchorage in the first round of the WCHA playoffs. They made an admirable NCAA tourney run, but came up just short of the Frozen Four when Maine beat UW in overtime at the regional final.

Everyone saw that season as a huge success on the part of the Badgers because they found their way back to the tournament — and it definitely was. Last season was a bit different.

The Badgers won their first seven games following the Showdown a year ago, only to go 1-5-3 over their last nine games.

They advanced to the WCHA Frozen Five before falling to North Dakota in Minneapolis. Once again, they reached the NCAA tournament, but were trounced by Michigan 4-1 in their opening game.

That time around, the season was still viewed as a partial success. The Badgers were young and seemingly just needed to get a taste of the postseason and realize what it takes to win once they get there.

This time around, Wisconsin is 16-2-2 and has held onto its spot atop the national polls for more than a month.

There can be no excuses if there is a struggle down the stretch this year, and anything less than an NCAA Frozen Four appearance and WCHA title should be considered a disappointment.

The Badgers control their own destiny as far as winning the MacNaughton Cup, and they should at least play for the Broadmoor.

The same can be said for the NCAA tournament — making the Frozen Four should just be the first of the goals. The Badgers should expect themselves to play for the national title, if not win it.

If Wisconsin has any stumble that even somewhat resembles what it saw in the past couple of years, this season would only be a setback.

They are a veteran group that now has postseason experience, veteran leadership, another All-American-caliber goalie and a head coach that once won a national title playing for UW.

If that is not a recipe for a national championship, I don't know what is.

The lone question heading into the season was the man between the pipes, Brian Elliott. The fact that this reporter hadn't seen him play back-to-back games through an entire season was about the only reason this column wasn't written at the beginning of the season.

Now, having seen this team through the first half, it has left me no choice than to pin it with the highest of expectations — but, in all honesty, I don't think they would have it any other way.

In fact, I'd bet money they would have told me to run this column to begin the year. They knew what Elliott was capable of, and they set these lofty expectations as their goals to start the season.

But what then sounded like preseason-scripted jargon has become a foreshadowing, and now they are not the only ones expecting big things in the second half.

It is because of all the previous arguments — and the Badgers relatively easy schedule in the second half — that these high expectations need to be made.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying back-to-back-to-back weekends against three Frozen Four teams last year — Colorado College, Denver and Minnesota, respectively — book-ended by a weekend at Minnesota-Duluth is a simple stretch.

But if the Badgers play like they did in the first half, they could have the MacNaughton Cup all but clinched by early February.

Wisconsin finishes the year against Michigan Tech, Minnesota State and St. Cloud State — three of the bottom four teams in the league.

Comparatively, CC has series against each of the top six teams in the WCHA — not including itself, of course. The same can be said for Minnesota, while Denver, North Dakota and Duluth all play four of the top foes.

Not to mention, if the Badgers hold strong down the stretch, they could see an NCAA regional in Green Bay on their way to a Frozen Four in Milwaukee. It is possible that Wisconsin's longest road trip left this year will be to Upper Wisconsin … I mean, Michigan.

You may think I'm getting ahead of myself, but really, I'm not. This is what needs to happen if Wisconsin wants to call its season a success.

They won't be happy with less, and neither will I — you can hold me to it.

Eric is a senior majoring in history. He can be reached at [email protected].