Wisconsin winds down surprising 1st half of season

[media-credit name=’DEREK MONTGOMERY/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]EarlRobbie_dm416[/media-credit]Despite being upset by Michigan Tech 4-2 last Friday night, the Wisconsin men's hockey team retained its No. 1 ranking this week, receiving 24 of the 40 first place votes.

While head coach Mike Eaves and Badger fans expected another high-caliber team this season, nobody could have expected UW to be off to this hot of a start. At the unofficial midpoint of the WCHA season, the Badgers hold an 11-1-2 league record, good enough to sit six points ahead of Minnesota.

"If anybody had told us we'd be here at this point, with one loss, we would've taken it, no hesitation," Eaves said after Saturday's 7-0 win. "Think about [who we've played], where we've gone, places we haven't won before, on the road in big games. It's about a good a start as we can have."

Indeed Wisconsin's record is quite impressive considering it includes a road series with Minnesota and North Dakota and a home series with Colorado College. In fact, what makes the record even more surprising is that of the three games the Badgers haven't won, two of them were against either St. Cloud State or Michigan Tech.

"No team expects to win the first half like we have," junior winger Robbie Earl said. "No matter how good you are, you expect to slip up some points. It's something special, and if you say it didn't shock you, you're lying."

Wisconsin has an exhibition with the United States Under-18 Team Friday, then a week off before the Badger Hockey Showdown New Year's weekend. UW doesn't return to league play until Jan. 13-14 at Colorado College.

Goals against Under-18 Team: It is easy to see how a matchup with the Badgers helps the U.S. Under-18 Team: It gives them a chance to play against a team that will help prepare them for international competition.

"When they play against teams like us, Vermont and Michigan and then they play kids their own age at the Under-18s, this pushes them to a level outside their comfort zone," Eaves said.

Realizing how Friday's exhibition game is a positive for Wisconsin might not be so evident; but the positives go both ways.

Eaves said that first and foremost, it gives some players who don't see as much action during the season a chance to prove themselves.

"I certainly want them to take advantage of it," Eaves said. "It's an opportunity for them to play and to show us they can play and that they can do some good things."

One of those players may be goalie Shane Connelly. The rookie may have started last Saturday's game if Friday's game had gone differently, but instead Elliott started both nights as he has done all year.

The game will also give the Badgers a chance to try out some new tactics on the ice.

"We're going to try a couple different things during the game in terms of the way we want to play, maybe a couple different face-off plays," Eaves said. "We're going to take advantage of the game as well."

A chance to see recruits in action: Three players currently on the Under-18 Team have signed letters of intent to play at Wisconsin next year. Forward Blake Geoffrion and defensemen Jaime McBain and Nigel Williams will see their first action in the Kohl Center this weekend.

The situation provides a unique opportunity for all of them, as well as for the Badger coaching staff who will have their first chance to see their recruits in live action.

"These kids that we're going to play against … are going to be on cloud nine," Eaves said. "This will be the biggest game of the year for them."

Fans will also get their first chance to see the Badgers of the future, and Eaves gave a run-down of what to expect out of the three recruits.

He compared the 6-foot-5, 220-pound Williams to current sophomore blue-liner Joe Piskula. He had two goals and six assists through 24 games with the Under-18 Team this year.

"Nigel Williams is a big young man … and he can skate," Eaves said. "I think he's on the path to learn the intricacies of the position and he's in the right place. He's learning, but he can really skate."

McBain has been paired up on defense with Williams and had one goal and four assists through 20 games.

"You'll like his poise and confidence with the puck," Eaves said. "He's got ice in his veins and the skills to go along with that."

Geoffrian had 11 points in 20 games played this year.

"[He] is heart and soul," Eaves said. "He can skate, he loves to hit and make things happen with his energy."